Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Ghastly Ghouls Blog Hop

 


Welcome to day two of the Ghastly Ghouls Blog.  Thanks to Carol of Just Let Me Quilt for hosting!
I love playing along with the Halloween Hop each year.


This year I knew my October would be super busy but I still wanted to play along and create something fun for Halloween and use up some of the good Halloween prints I have, so I decided to go with a quick quilt pattern, and one I have made before:  The Chevron quilt aka Zig Zag Quilt.


  The top was super fast to put together and I had plenty of orange and black Halloween prints to choose from.  From fabric selection to the last row stitched together, I had the top together in about 4 1/2 hours.  

There are two really good tutorials on the internet you can use if you want to make your own.

and 




When the top was done I picked out some spooky fabric for the back: some cute bats with a hint of green in the moon light.  With the back done I knew the quilting would only take a few more hours and I could have a nice quick project done in a weekend.


But I kept staring at the newly pieced back and decided it wasn't the right fit for the black and orange top.  I felt like it would go better with a different color version of chevrons.



So instead of loading this on the machine to quilt the top I just made, I picked out another batch of fabrics for a new top that blends better with the my newly pieced backing.


Something with a few more greens and a touch of orange.
I'll be cutting these out tonight!

Who makes a backing first and then picks fabrics for the top??  Me I guess.  Haha!

Be sure to check out the other hoppers today and see their Ghastly Ghouly projects.




Happy Haunting...er Quilting!!


=^..^=



28 comments:

  1. Your quilt is fabulous! Thanks for the tutorial links. I like the idea of piecing your backs first. It's a step I find myself not wanting to do once my front is finished. I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt top is lovely--thanks for the links to tutorials without half square triangles. That back looks pretty cool too, and the new top will certainly go with it better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the orange and black. I am looking forward to seeing the one with the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome way to make a quick holiday themed quilt! I really like the fabrics picked for "new top" for the "old back" --- whatever inspires a project is a good thing! But wait, have you picked a new back for the original top? Perhaps you'll save that reveal for next years hop, Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is gorgeous, and I'm sure the second version of the top will be too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is very cool, and your backing dilemma made me giggle. I love the next set of fabric you chose for your next quilt. I love gray and that poison green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how you make me giggle. Your quilt top is fabby and your next one will be too. I really do like the fabric selection for the back. Now you have a quilt top to make and another backing for the orange top. You GO girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chevrons in quilts and in knitting and you quilt looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, this was a post that got me smiling right away. LOL I love the front and the back of your original sewing adventure, but the fabrics for your second quilt-to-be will definitely go awesomely with the first back...so, two quilts it is! And two very perfectly Halloweenish ones at that. Thank you for the chills and thrills this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really cute quilt and great pattern. I love all the fabrics you used and also that stash for your next project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great Halloween quilt! The design shows off your fabric in such a nice way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt, I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m so glad you posted this! What a fast and fun quilt, with a great design! I have lots of Halloween fabrics and I plan to put them to good use making this,🖤🧡🖤🧡

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to tell you how much I love the way you put your backing together too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quilt and beautiful collection of fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the quilt and it is kind of fun that you are going to end up with two quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your black and orange chevron quilt and the colors you picked for your next one. Would love to see it when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This would be perfect decor all fall. Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very ghoulish quilt top! And it will be great to have 2 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. With those colours, I could see myself using this beautiful quilt for all of autumn, or all year long for that matter! The second one looks very promising already.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  21. 'Love your quilt. I also love pieced quilt backs. Great fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of working from back to front. I also love the second set of fabric choices. They will be a great ghostly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So you will have two quilts when you finish matching tops and backs! =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like your orange quilt, but now I'm keen to see your orange one too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Leah! I love the way you think with picking out the fabric to go with the backing. Your first project turned out great but I have to agree that those new fabrics will go swimmingly with the backing. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love all of those oranges in your quilt!

    ReplyDelete