Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!!

I hope everyone is ready for some spooky fun tonight.

Today is my day for the Wicked Blog Hop. 
I made a spider web quilt block and turned it into a mini quilt.

Which I plan to use as a mini table topper...

Or even a Jack-O-Lantern backdrop.

I had planned on photographing my whole process,
but the camera was quickly forgotten as I got engrossed in the project.
I did get remember to few shots that I can share.
I started out by sewing eight 1 inch strips together.
Then I used my Kaleidoscope ruler to cut out eight wedges.

I sewed the wedges together and added the black border.
Then I couched on some thick black thread on the seam lines.
The couched thread was originally the last step on my drawing,
but as I stared at it, I felt like it was missing something,
So I added some ghosts. 

Then I quilted it up and took it out into the night for its spooky photo shoot.

Make sure you check out all the other Wicked posts for the day

Wicked Wednesday,
October 31st

!!!Happy Halloween!!!


Monday, October 29, 2012

Bev's Scrappy Quilt

With Halloween costumes completed, I was able to get back to quilting and quilted up Bev's quilt.
She used all her scraps from leftover projects to make this beauty.  
To make the top she said she kept sewing one scrap piece to another and when they got big enough she trimmed them up into workable blocks.  
I think it turned out great!  


Monday, October 22, 2012

Halloween Costumes

Wow! What a busy month I have had.  I didn't realize I hadn't sat down at my sewing machine since my last post on October 5th.  I have been busy getting the house ready for guests, doing my schoolwork (I started back to college), playing at the State Fair, and trying to come up with ideas for Halloween costumes. I ended up making two out of the four this year, but very little was done with the sewing machine.

First I made this viking costume for my youngest.  It was made mostly with my crochet hook.  Something I haven't picked up in quite a long time.  I made the beard first - It is a free download from Ravelry. Then I made the hat to go with it.

My son specifically requested I helmet with a broken horn. Luckily I found a perfect one on Ravelry as well.
The pattern had a few errors in it, but if you are good at deciphering those out it is a nice helmet to make.
Finally I draped him in fake fur and he was ready to go.

Every Halloween my husband's work puts on a Halloween party for the kids. It is usually a week before Halloween. This year they did it a little early and I had to have all the costumes done by the 19th.  My second youngest was still undecided as to what he wanted to be the Monday before the event.  Finally I convinced him to be something that I could make really quick:  A Catcus

I found him some green sweat pants and shirt. I really wanted a hoodie, but wasn't able to find one, so I bought an extra shirt, cut it up, and made him a hat to match

Then I sewed on over 200 white pipe cleaners.
I folded them in half and zig zagged them onto the sweat shirt.
Then I added two yellow cactus flowers to finish it up.

I bought my daughter her flapper outfit, and her friend came over to join us for the party.

We always have the kids pose in front of the door before we head into the party.

It was a great night. The kids had a good time playing games and eating party food.
And to top the night off, the viking was one of the costume contest winners!
He got himself a $10 giftcard to Wal-Mart.
Yee Haw!!


Friday, October 5, 2012

Leafs Me Happy Blog Hop

Today is my day for the Leafs me Happy Blog hop.
I am really into batik fabrics right now and I knew they would make the perfect leaf block.

I shall name this one "Leaf's Sun"
Heh, I'm no good at catchy pun titles and the only thing coming to mind right now is Leaf Ericsson.
Doesn't have anything to do with leaves, but it sounds good.

I incorporated two different pattern designs for this block:
The corners of Bonnie Hunter's Spider blocks and a pieced maple leaf block I found here.  
The leaf pattern was for a 15.5 inch block, so I had to re-size it to fit in a 8.5 inch square.

I didn't have time to make a whole set of blocks, but I played around with one block in my computer and came up with what could be a finished project in my near future.  I was also anxious to see how the spider sections would come together. 

Be sure to check out all the other great leaf blocks today.
You can see them all by following the links below.

Friday 5