Saturday, February 24, 2018

Project Quilting 9.4 Mellow Yellow

The theme for week four of Project Quilting was "Mellow Yellow."  Not the soda, but the color.  We had to use Yellow as our main fabric for this project.

My quilt is titled "Yellow Bellied Birdies" and measures about 30 inch Square.
I decided to go smaller this week compared to last week as I had a busy week planned.  I managed to squeeze in a few nights of sewing this week and  it helped to have Monday off from work as well.

I actually have a lot of yellows in my stash and love using it in my quilts I just needed the perfect pattern to go with them. My first thought was stars since they are traditionally yellow so I went to my paper piecing board on Pinterest to find a good pattern I have saved and always wanted to make. As I was scrolling I saw this cute Bird pattern.

I couldn't find a link to it, just the image someone saved from someone else who saved it from someone else from an email...If that makes sense. 

I made one bird to test the pattern, then used the papers I tore out as templates to cut out all the background fabric pieces I needed for the rest of the 15 birds.

 The bird isn't too detailed and came together pretty quick. Particularly with chain piecing.

Once I had all the fabric cut to the right shapes it made paper piecing a 15 more blocks super quick.

Each block finished at 6 inches.

Make sure you check out all the other "Mellow Yellow" entries:

And vote for your favorites starting at 12 noon CST on Sunday 2/25.


Sunday, February 11, 2018

Project Quilting 9.3 Bold and Brave

Quilt Measures 60 x 60 inches.

This project had me stumped as to what to make.  So I recruited the help of my kids.  I asked, "If you were looking at a quilt that was bold and brave, what would it look like?"

My oldest son said, 
"Maybe it could be like a shield quilt,
Or a lion,
Or maybe a superhero,
Or maybe a superhero football king in space!"

So I asked, "How about a Super hero football king in space with a pet lion?" 

My son agreed, but my mind was remembering the Geometric Lion pattern from Violet Craft.  I showed him a picture of it and he said, "That would be cool. Do you think you can do that in a week? It's just triangle things..."  

That was Monday afternoon.  So I bought the pattern online to check it out.  Later that evening after work I cut out all the pattern pieces, 126 of them, and was about to go with something else when my Hubby and my other son walked in the sewing room. They saw me staring at the pattern and all the pieces and both confidently said, "You can do that in a week." So I did.

I sewed about 4 to 5 hours every night and all day Saturday to finish him.

I took pictures of my progress each night before I hit the hay.





Friday - The goal was to gave the whole top finished by Friday. Didn't quite make it, but got pretty close. 

Saturday - I took my cat the vet in the morning and after that I sewed the whole day to finish this guy.

Sunday, I put the last binding stitch in at 12:02 am, so technically he was finished on Suday.

It was over cast this morning and about to rain. But I was able to get a picture of him outside before heading to church.

Go check out all Bold and Brave entries here:

At 12pm CST you can vote for your top favorites.