Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Virtual Cookie Exchange Blog Hop

 

What a fun year it has been!  I've been able to play along with all the blog hops hosted by Carla, Carol, and Joan this year.  It has been so much fun and full of inspiration all year long and this month's hop hosted by Carol of Just Let Me Quilt is no exception!  Everyone in the hop has shown off some fun and fantastic treats so far, both of the fabric and eating variety and we still have one more day to go!




Today I am showing of a fabric treat.  I am calling this one Peppermint Cookies.  


The inspiration for this quilt actually came last year when I went to my Brother's house for Christmas.  He had his house decorated in red and white with a little bit of silver.  No green anywhere. It was pretty cool.  I noticed the only thing missing in his décor was a red and white Christmas quilt to drape over his white couch.  

I went home and looked up red and white quilts and came across a blog post by Barbara Brackman about red and white quilts.  You can see it HERE.  Halfway down the post is her version of this quilt and she even gave sizes.  Her snowballs were 12 inch blocks.  I wanted something smaller so I opened EQ8 and drew up blocks and sashing half that size. I also added some Square in a Square cornerstones and an inner border to finish up the stars on the edges. 





During the rest of December last year and throughout 2022 I snatched up some red and white prints. Some Christmassy and some just red and white.  I  ended up using 24 different prints for the snowball blocks.  The star points are more of a solid red without any white.  I contemplated using scrappy prints for these, but decided to go with one darker print to help bring everything together.



I even found the perfect fabric for the back.  Some red and silver ornaments.

I had the intention to make some white chocolate chip peppermint cookies to show off with this quilt, but alas, I feel more at home in the sewing room lately than in the kitchen, so that part didn't make for this hop,  But I can give you the base recipe for this Peppermint Cookie Quilt!


Yardage Needed:

Red: About Three Yards.  Can be a total of Scraps or one print for everything.
White:  About 2 3/4 yards.


Ingredients for a quilt that measures approximately 58 x 74 inches:

Use your favorite method to make each specific block,
or click for either a free Paper Piecing PDF or a Template PDF option for some of them. 


48 Snowball Blocks:  6.5 inch unfinished
Paper Piece PDF,   Template PDF

110 Rectangle Star Sashing:  6.5 x 2.5 inch unfinished
Paper Piece PDF,   Template PDF


28 White Rectangles:  6.5 x 2.5 inch unfinished 


32 Triangle in a square blocks:  2.5 inch unfinished
Paper Piece PDF  


31 Square in a Square blocks:  2.5 unfinished
Paper Piece PDF


32 Red Squares: 2.5 inch unfinished


4 White Squares: 2.5 unfinished



2 Border Strips: 2.5 inch x 70.5 unfinished
2 Border Strips: 2.5 inch x 58.5 unfinished.



Instructions:



  1. Layout the snowballs in a grid of 6 across and 8 down
  2. Fill in with rectangle star sashing.
  3. Add cornerstones from top to bottom, starting with a solid red squares and alternating with a Square in a Square block.  
  4. Use the White Rectangles, White Squares, and Triangles in a Square to make first inner border.  The Triangles in a Square blocks make the final outer star points. 
  5. Add the white outer borders:  Sew on the side borders and then the top.
  6. Quilt, Bind, Snuggle under and eat some real homemade peppermint cookies.







Be sure to check out the other blogs today. 

You are sure to see some great recipes and fun decorating ideas!

December 5



Happy Sewing!


=^..^=


23 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt!! I love the red/white combo all year long. :-) Your brother is going to be blown away! And thank you for your quilt recipe, but I am drooling thinking about peppermint cookies!! LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is eye popping and spectacular- absolutely gorgeous. I am drawn to red and white quilts. Thank you so much for sharing how to make it. Have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWZERS, Leah, I love it. I really love how you did the sashing and the cornerstones with some solid squares and some with square in a square. Your preview on Instagram really sparked my curiosity about what you were creating. It is amazing and thank you for sharing your "recipe"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning quilt! You mentioned that your brother's house was the inspiration to make this quilt, but are you giving it to him or keeping it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is just something special about red and white quilts! Beautiful, Leah!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a recipe that I can really sink my teeth into! It really is calorie free and stunning at the same time. I may just have to cook one of these up myself for next year. Thanks for sharing it with us. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the red and white quilt, it looks so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous quilt! Each year, I tell myself I'm going to make a red/white Christmas quilt, and I never get it done. I sure like this one, though! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a stunning red and white quilt. Thank you for the instructions. Time to dig into my red fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous red and white quilt. Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally awesome and gorgeous quilt...love it! It is so Christmasy and stunning in the red and white. You rocked this quilt for sure! Thanks for sharing how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a gorgeous quilt and I so love red and white. Ohhh, a house decorated in reds and white would be amazing. Bet he'll love this perfect quilt. Thank you for the 'recipe'/pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt! I have always loved red and white quilts. So striking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a great sister!!! I love your quilt and the story for it is wonderful. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an deliciously gorgeous quilt! And thank you so much for including directions. I've bookmarked for the future fun! Happy quilting! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous quilt! The pieced backing is just as beautiful too. Thank you forthe tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilt! Who needs cookies when you can get a recipe like that?! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your red and white quilt is gorgeous! Love the backing too. Was your brother surprised, or have you gifted it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous quilt, Leah! I love red and white in a quilt, though I've never made one! Great inspiration! I loved the pieced backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning quilt! Thank you for sharing the recipe for your quilt. 😉

    ReplyDelete