Sunday, July 28, 2019

Half Sqaure Triangle Quilt and 3rd finish for Q3 FAL


This quilt is the second quilt I taught in the beginner quilt class I teach. This is the version I sewed along with the students.

I wanted the class to be able to tackle Half Square Triangles since they are used in so many different quilt blocks.

What better way to learn them, than to make a whole bunch of them and turn them into a quilt.  We used 5 inch squares and the two at time method to create our HSTs for our quilts.



I like splitting my yardage in half for backings and adding a coordinating strip in the middle or slightly offset. I feel like I have less left overs when I do it this way.


Making a quilt with just HSTs also gave the class a chance to fiddle around with their own design layouts, which was fun.

Below are a few of the layouts the students came up with.  It is fun to see all the different color ways and layouts everyone came up with.


Catrina's


Derricka's


Miyako's


Sherryll's

  


This quilt is also my 3rd finish for the third quarter of the 2019 Finish-A-Long.



This one just barely turned into a UFO when I put it aside to work on a couple other projects.

I didn't want it to stay on the UFO pile though, so I added it to the list this quarter. All it needed was some quilting and binding and now I have another completed quilt.  Yay!

Check out my full Third Quarter list of UFO hopefuls here.


=^..^=

2 comments:

  1. Great quilt for newbies! I love seeing your students' designs. AND, congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete