Friday, November 15, 2019

Stitch It Gift It Blog Hop

I am happy to be rounding out the Stitch It, Gift It Blog Hop hosted by Carla of Creatin' in the Sticks.
I have two quilty gifts I have been working on. Both of them are Holiday quilts.  The first one you may have already seen as it was part of the Halloween Blog Hop of 2018, but it was only a top then.


It is the Halloween One Block Wonder I had been working on.  I had fully intended to keep this quilt for myself, but as I was posting photos about this on Instagram, my brother kept making comments about how much he liked it.

 Usually he will comment one time, but this time he mentioned several times that he really liked it.  So I decided it needed to live with him when it got quilted.

This was the first one block wonder quilt I had made with a panel and I didn't want to loose any of the picture, so I bordered it in black then surrounded it with the hexagons.
I love this panel so much and knew I would really miss it when I finally sent it off, but I also felt it belonged in Washington state with my brother.  

A couple weeks after I made the decision to let it go I saw the same panels on sale at 50% off.  I figured that was sign and bought 7 more panels to make another one for myself.  

I was hoping to have my brother's version quilted and ready to go by Halloween this year, but as most UFO's do it hovered around a little longer than I anticipated.  But it is done now and ready to go.  He is expecting it and is excited to have it ready for next Halloween.


My version above omitted the black border and I ended up trimming the panel a little on the sides. Mine needs a small top and bottom border and some quilting and then it will be done. Both of these Hallowen One Block Wonders are on my 4th Quarter Finish-A-long list so the goal is to finish mine by the end of the year.



One thing I like about these two quilts is that when mine is finished, there will be two similar versions of this quilt, one on each side of the country. When I look at mine, I will think of my brother and when he looks at his, he will think of me.  Two quilts connected across America through Halloween stitches and sibling love.  What could be better than that.




The next quilty gift I am working on is a Christmas Quilt.  Yep, I am one of those people who go from Halloween right to Christmas.  I love getting all the red, green and gold out.


I have four siblings and have made a Christmas quilt for all of them but one. My oldest sister has yet to have receive a festive quilt from me for the Holidays.  So this year it is her turn.


Since my sister lives across the country, also in Washington state, I don't always get to see her Christmas decorations. For her quilt I was debating on going with aqua, red and green, or traditional red and green, but wasn't sure which one would fit her current style, so I decided to go right to the source and ask. Traditional red and green won out.


I used some red 2.5 inch strips from a pre-cut I had and some greens from a fat quarter bundle I had been holding on to.


For the pattern I wanted to do something with with Trees.  My Sister lives in the Pacific Northwest right on the edge of the forest with lovely tall trees surrounding her.

These trees aren't necessarily the Douglas Firs or Western Hemlocks of the area, but with a little imagination they might could pass for them.  The original pattern comes from a book called Make Room for Christmas by Nancy J. Martin.


This one is still a flimsy.  My original plan was to do a small lap version, but my husband convinced me to go big this time.  He mentioned she couldn't cuddle with her hubby at Christmas time under a small quilt.  So I made more red and white blocks and more trees.



 Since this will be her first Christmas quilt from me I want to do a little custom quilting and make it fancy.  Since I spent a little extra time on the piecing I didn't have the time I wanted to quilt it like I want in time for the hop. 


But the backing is sewn together and batting is picked out and the plan is to have this quilted and mailed after Thanksgiving.



This has been a fun hop that inspired me to get my gifts finished and it has been fun to see other gift inspiration, from from large to small, from all the other bloggers. There is something to inspire everyone.  

Make sure to check out all the other posts.   If you missed any here is the full list of all the hoppers.  Make sure to visit their site and see what inspiration they may have for you.


Stitch It and Gift It Blog Hop Schedule





=^..^=

33 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilts! I really love that Halloween one. Your brother is one lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both stunning. I love that Halloween one it is so unusual and I am sure your sister will absolutely love her Christmas quilt. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilts for your siblings--so special since you live far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both your quilts are fantastic and I'm sure your siblings will enjoy them for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both quilts make such lovely quilts. The Halloween one block wonder is absolutely stunning! You are very gifted and talented! I love trees, and your sister will delight in receiving this Christmas quilt to snuggle under. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have very lucky siblings!!! I love how you used and incorporated part of the uncut panel into the center of the quilt...I would love to know how you get everything to go together so well!! I love One Block Wonder quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Halloween quilt, both versions are awesome. Love the Christmas quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice festive quilts. Good job!
    MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowzers, Leah, you always inspire, but your panel quilts are sooooo my taste. What a wonderful way to think of each other across the country. Your sis is sure to love that Christmas quilt. Thank you for the inspiration and for joining the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow, that is, indeed, one wowzer of a quilt!! I'd have been hard pressed to give it away, regardless!! I like to do small quilted photo wall hangings for my sisters; usually a snap from a favorite memory or if we managed to get together during the year (we're all spread out too). Every once in a while we are all in the same place at the same time. Those are my favorite photos to quilt into something special!!! Great job today -- thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilts are stunning. I have a One Block Wonder quilt up on my design wall. But I love how you have used the original panel in your quilts. And I love your Christmas quilt.
    Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky siblings you have there! I am loving the Halloween quilts. After looking at both of them, it's really a toss up if I like it with the black border or without. They are both awesome. I'm really going to have to make myself sit down and do one of these 1 block wonders. 7 panels you say? I will start searching now! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply AWESOME quilts! Would love to be on your sibling list! One Block Wonder is on my list of to-do projects, but I had not thought of using panels, that is until now. Thanks for sharing your creativity, talents & inspiration with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Halloween quilts - you've done a great job with the layout for your OBW blocks. The Christmas tree quilt is a great way to show off different green fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Your OBW is great! Have not seen them done with panels before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of your quilts are fabulous! I know your brother must be over the top about his quilt. So glad you found another panel to make a matching one for yourself. Your Christmas quilt is stunning! Love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Halloween quilt is "the" Ultimate Halloween Quilt! I haven't seen any that are near what you did. You & your brother should enter them into shows. I hadn't even seen that panel. Can you tell where you bought it,if in case they have 1 more. The Christmas Tree quilt is beautiful. I'm glad you made it larger. There are too many patterns out there just for baby quilts or lap/throws. I admire your talent! quiltyladyrr at gmail dot com. I don't know if I'm still a no reply person or not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your Halloween quilt--one of my favorite decorating holidays!
    barbkaup(at)(yahoo)(dot)(com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both quilts are amazing, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OM goodness. What fabulous quilts. I love Christmas and that quilt is wonderful. The Halloween quilts are OUTSTANDING! I have Christmas fabric purchased for a regular OBW but your Halloween panel makes me think I should change holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, that Halloween quilt is even more beautiful quilted...love it! Your Christmas quilt is pretty amazing, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful quilts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Halloween quilts are amazing!! No wonder your brother kept making comments! The second on with out the borders is incredible!!! and how sweet to make your sister a quilt she will like!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the one block wonder is beautiful. Using a panel it so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the Christmas quilt and your kitty's are purrfect models.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Man I really love that Halloween quilt. No wonder it was hard to part with! But I love that fate intervened and made it possible for you to make another one. I love that you both have the same quilt. The Christmas quilt seems perfect for your sister who lives in a state with tall conifers just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fortunate set of siblings. Your quilts for them are wonderful..Love,love,love the one you made for your brother he has excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such gorgeous Christmas quilts and fantastic gifts!! I'm sure they will be well loved! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like both quilts but that first one I LOOOOVE

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous quilts...not sure why I am so late to seeing your post but that first one is a knockout!

    ReplyDelete