Monday, March 18, 2024

Give it A Whirl Blog Hop - Double Pinwheels

 



Welcome to the first day of the Give it A Whirl Blog Hop Challenge, hosted by Carol of Just Let Me Quilt. Today I'm showing off my Double Pinwheel Quilt.  It is also my Island Batik Ambassador Project for March, in which we could create any protect we wanted. 


 



For the blog hop we were challenged to create something that included a "whirl". We could use any blocks or fabrics as long as the project had something in it that looked like it was spinning.

I opted for pinwheels and Island Batik Fabric.  I started out with a sketch ...


and then went to EQ8 for my final layout.


The fabric I used is Island Batik Flutter Wings by Kathy Engle.




I used this same fabric for my log cabin quilt last month and had perfect scraps left over for pinwheels.



I decided to paper piece the first pinwheel blocks.



I made a set of warm blocks and a set of cool blocks



Boonky made sure everything was sewn properly.



The second pinwheel blocks filled in the centers between the main pinwheel blocks and the center blocks.


These blocks were sewn with traditional piecing.



Avi sat by while I worked on those.




I was super glad to have the new Oliso Iron that came in my Ambassador box.  Each piece pressed smooth and the top came out super crisp.





Hobbs sent a nice box of batting for the Ambassadors.  For this quilt, I used the Hobbs 80/20 Heirloom Bleached cotton batting.  I love the bleached batting when my quilts have lots of white in them.





The whole quilt was sewn together and quilted with Schmetz 80/12 Microtex needles.








The sunshine sure helps these colors pop!





Be sure to check out all the other whirling projects this week!



24 comments:

  1. Ohhhh...seeing this was a great way to start my day. This is a happy quilt and those double pinwheels are fabulous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is a real beauty. The aqua border sets it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt! The colors are amazing and the pinwheels are all awesome, especially those double ones! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Leah, this is gorgeous! I haven't done any paper piecing in quite a while, but this reminds me how it can create amazing blocks like these pinwheels. Thank you for sharing these beauties in your incredible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your double pinwheels. It's amazing what paper piecing can accomplish. Now, if I'd just use EQ8 to my advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt, I love the colors! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your finish and of course I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and the design is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I love how you combined the Pinwheel and March challenges! AND, I like how you pp some blocks and sewed other's with traditional piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a beautiful quilt. I love that batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very pretty quilt and the fabric is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful quilt. Love the colors and the colored sashings. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving your choice of fabrics. I've yet to try paper piecing, but I love the difference it made in your blocks. Gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful, colorful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt! Love the more intricate pinwheels. The fabric is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is beautiful, and your helpers couldn't be cuter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing colors on an amazing quilt. I love that you showed the process of your quilt and the paper piecing, too. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful that you were able to combine the two challenges. It makes sense since you have two different kinds of pinwheels, one for each challenge, haha. That is a gorgeous quilt. Love the colors and the design.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome, Leah. Great to use those lovely scraps from the Log Cabin challenge! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the paper pieced pinny very much. Great use of multi texture in the blocks and the ;windy' quilt motif - lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this quilt, Leah! So vibrant and so much movement.

    ReplyDelete