Thursday, February 8, 2024

Island Batik Log Cabin Blog Hop


I am excited to show off my Lone Star Log Cabin Quilt!  Using the Island Batik Flutter Wings fabric line by Kathy Engle





This month Island Batik Ambassadors were asked to play with Log Cabin blocks to help show off the new Island Batik fabric collections hitting stores now!





Flutter Wings is right up my alley, bright and full of dragonflies, birds, and butterflies.
The colors all blend so well together and make fantastic log cabin blocks. 




I was also excited to get this new Oliso Iron in my January Ambassador box.  The TG1600ProPlus.  My old iron was hanging together by a thread, literally, the sole plat would flop when I used it.  It was definitely time for a new iron.  And this one is fantastic.  I love the smooth sole plate. It pressed all my half-yard prints so smooth.








I started with the diamond log cabin blocks, which turned out way bigger than I intended.  So the square cabins ended up being 16 inches.  Making this quilt huge!  Log cabin blocks are quick to sew up, so it's pretty easy to make a huge quilt if you cut your fabric strips wide.




This block ended up being 16 inches.  All the prints and colors blend so well together.





I enjoyed auditioning color combos for each round of log cabin blocks. The fabric prints and colors complement each other well.




I pieced and quilted the whole project with Schmetz needles.  I used an 80/12 microtex needle for the piecing and an 80/12 universal needle for the quilting.  Sometimes I use a microtex needle for the quilting but this time I grabbed the universal and it quilted through all the layers without any issues.








Of course, as soon as the quilting was done, Avi had to do quality control checks.  I do believe it passed as it was difficult to remove him to start the binding.




To make the diamond blocks, I started with a 2 1/2 strip and cut it into a diamond with the 45 degree line on my ruler.  The logs that went around it were 2 inch strips.  I sewed one log in, trimmed it, then added the next.  I kept going around the cabin till all the logs were on.





I outlined each block in Island Batik solid black for a little bit of a stained glass look.




The square blocks ended up having large logs and small logs. The orange prints were cut 2 1/2 inches and the blue prints were cut 2 inches to give the block an off-center look.




I quilted an all-over floral swirl design on it with some teal thread.





The quilt turned out huge! An 80 inch square. My husband's wing span was not big enough to hold it up for a full shot of the quilt.  So he hung it over the dock railing at the park.




The fabric colors almost match the colors outside but are more vibrant. Yellow grass and blue skies.




We just needed some butterflies and birds to go with it.




I did see a pretty blue bird at the park, but he was too quick for a photo.






Thanks for reading along and be sure to check out the giveaway hosted by Island Batik. 
They are giving away two fat quarter bundles.  You can visit their blog post for all the details on how to enter!




This giveaway ends February, 9 at 11:59 pm PDT. Two random winners will be notified by email on February, 10 and announced on the Island Batik Facebook page on February, 13. If the winners do not respond within the first two days after being notified, two new random winners will be chosen and notified. Please check your spam folders!



And don't miss my fellow Ambassador, Suzy Webster,  to see what she did with the Flutter Wings Collection.


Happy Sewing!




=^..^=





15 comments:

  1. Wowza! This quilt is a stunner! Your design showcases the fabric's strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your log cabin quilt is fantastic! I love the fabrics you were given, and those diamond log cabin blocks are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is amazing! Beautiful colors and design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I love what you did with the log cabin challenge! What a gorgeous fabric colleciton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilt with beautiful, vibrant fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful layout and great placement of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow big bright and I love it great job.Ty for sharing your talents with us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, bright and happy fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so vibrant, Leah! Love the Lone Star Cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Leah! Your quilt is so awesome! I love, love, love it! This collection of fabrics is my favorite and you were able to show them off perfectly. Great job and such a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is gorgeous. I the 3D look in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I have never seen a quilt quite like this. Beautiful colors and beautiful design. Thanks for sharing your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous quilt! Love the pattern and how you arranged the colors makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete