Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Pink Flying Dutchman



This little quilt came about from a category in the SC State Fair: 
Fabrics & Threads - Machine Sewing:  Infant - Quilt (New).

It has been a while since I have entered anything in the state fair, seven years to be exact, but as the fair neared this year, I kept getting emails to submit my entries.  So I decided, why not?

The State Fair only lets you enter one piece per category. I perused through the categories to see if I had any quilts already sewn and good enough to enter.  I had a few quilts that fit the machine quilting categories and added those to my entry form.  

I scrolled through the rest of the sewing categories and came across the "Infant - Quilt (New)" category in the Machine Sewing class instead of the Quilting Class.

I didn't have an infant quilt made, but I had an idea of what I could make in time for the drop off deadline, so I added the class to my submissions.  



I made a quilt like this before but in blues, so I decided to do this version in pink.
I made quick work of the flying geese.  It helped that I had the Accuquilt dies for these shapes.  I grabbed a bunch of pink scraps and ran them through the cutter.

The accuquilt die cuts off the dog ears and helps with lining things up as you sew, so they went together pretty fast.





While making some Frankenbatting, Boonky decided the sewing machine was a good place to take a nap.





After nap time,  things got rolling.





I quilted free hand curves around all the flying geese.




And did some wavy lines in the sashing.




 I machine sewed the binding down on the front.  I wasn't sure if this was ok for entering competitions, but I went with it anyway.  



It must have been ok, because the quilt earned a blue ribbon!  Wahoo!

My husband and I went to the Fair on a Wednesday afternoon to check out all my entries.  I had forgotten how fun it was to enter items in the State Fair.  

Walking around and checking out all the exhibits and seeing all the other entries was a lot of fun.  




The cows were pretty cool too.



 Happy Sewing!




=^..^=





1 comment:

  1. What an adorable quilt! I have a new baby to make one for and keep waffling on what the heck I am going to do. Congratulations on the blue ribbon - well deserved.

    ReplyDelete