Saturday, October 28, 2023

Cathedral Pillow - Halloween Style


Check out these fun Halloween Pillows!


 

I made similar versions a few years ago for an Island Batik Ambassador project and gifted that set to my mom.  Since then I have been itching to make a set of my own.  



For my set I opted for some fun Halloween colors. I pulled out an Island Batik strip pack called October Twist and cut out two inch squares.




Traditional Cathedral Window quilts have only one fabric print for the windows. Everything else is solid. This version pops color out every where.  

I wanted all the orange prints to show up in the melons so they got put on the bottom and each of those prints got topped with two black squares folded on the diagonal.




This method does leave raw edges on the back though, so you'll need to cover those up.  My pillow back does that for this project this project.





I love the orange peaking through before the black fabric is peeled over.





The darker prints in the set went on the top for the windows and I glue basted them down.




Next step was to peeled back the black folds and machine stitch them down.
Avi, is taking his new job duties very serious, giving the stitching a close inspection. 





The Island Batik Spider Web fabric makes the perfect pillow back.






I am in love with these pillows.





Belle appears to like them as well.






And they match one of my older Halloween Quilts




And did you know there is a Pillow category in the SC State fair? I noticed it as I was looking through the categories this year and entered one the pillows. My first time entering a pillow and it won a blue ribbon! Wahoo!!



Happy Sewing!




=^..^=




3 comments:

  1. Love your Halloween CW pillows! What a great idea!!! I am not surprised it won a blue ribbon, so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the win. Looking at this wonderful pillow I can see why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun Halloween pillows and congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete