Monday, July 26, 2021

It's a Guy Thing Blog Hop


Welcome to the first day of the "It's A Guy Thing" blog hop, hosted by Carol of Just Let Me Quilt.
For this hop we were challenged to make something for a guy or tomboy, or in manly-man colors of blues, grays, browns, etc.






Sitting in my stash was a layer cake perfect for this hop, it was full of blues, browns, and grays.  So it only took a few seconds to pick out the fabric for this hop, I just had to grab the layer cake.  

The block I wanted to make came to me quick too. There are so many different layer cake patterns, but I decided on Delectable Mountain blocks.  I'd been seeing different versions of this block pop up on Pinterest lately when I looked up other things, so it was already sitting in the back of my mind, waiting for the right time to come out and this blog hop was it.


I paired it with some Kona cotton in Coal and used 40 of the 42 squares to make 80 Half Square Triangles.  Once trimmed up, I cut each HST into four strips and rearranged them to make the "mountains". 

You have to make sure to cut half of the HSTs one way and the other half the opposite way in order to get two mirrored sides of the mountain.  I used You Tube and searched "Delectable Mountain quilt" and found a couple videos with some good instructions to make sure I didn't screw it up.


I played around with the layout for a bit and decided on diamonds in the center flanked by mirrored zig zag mountains on each side.


The back of the top looks pretty cool.  It was windy on the side lawn to get a good picture of the top,




So we moved the the side porch.




Here is the top before its quilted....




and after it is quilted and bound later in the evening.




I intended to quilt large wavy curves, but as I was echoing the first row of curves, they started turning into what I thought looked like topographical lines so I just went with it.



Pieced my backing again.  That brown in the center is the last of that fabric in my stash.  Feels good to use all of something up with little to no scraps left behind.




This was my first time making this block.  It was super quick and easy.  Way easier than I thought it would be.  I think it took me longer to square up my 80 HSTs then it did to sew the blocks together.




Thanks again to Carol for hosting the hop and inspiring me sew up some dandy delectable mountains!  

Make sure to check out the other hoppers today to see what they were inspired to make.

35 comments:

  1. Thats a great pattern and a nice macho quilt, I may steal the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is so effective. I do love how your quilting turned out. It certainly is masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt, and perfect for this hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt turned out so amazing! I love the fabrics, design, and your quilting just adds so much to it. The little bit of blue is perfect in it, too. Thank you for sharing your "guy thing" with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt! I like the colors a lot and the quilting is perfect. Makes me think of rivers running between the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is Stunning. your quilting finishes it off with wonderful movement. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic quilt!! the colors are just amazing and I love them all together like that!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, what a cool quilt. I love the fabrics you used and that design is perfect for the guys in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Delectable Mountain quilt! The colors and the quilting really make this stunning! DM has been on my to make list for years. I better get started one one soon and yours certainly inspired me to want to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quilt. I have trouble finding patterns for men and this one is perfect! Your quilting is fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this quilt! Might have to make it for some of the guys in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! Delectable Mountains is so fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt. Love the colors! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooo, I love the topographical nature of the quilting, that is perfect for a delectable mountain quilt! And I like how the backing looks, I need to do that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely done. Good, neutral colors that are more a guy type preference. Love the backing. Simple and easy to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the neutral colors in this quilt and I think you did a great job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the grey background fabric - it gives those mountains a real stormy look. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am preparing to make a delectable mountains quilt, I’m glad you felt it was easy, especially given how nicely yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!! It's a fantastic quilt and you've inspired me to look at making one too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a stellar quilt. Your fabric choices are perfect for this hop. The quilting is wonderful and reminds me of a stream running through the hills. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I love this. I've always wanted to try that block. Great colors for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I've wanted to try this block, so thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous quilt for your favorite male!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a perfect quilt for a man. Loved the colors and the pattern you used. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. the quilt is lovely and the quilting is exquisite! (if I spelled that right)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The blocks, the quilting, the back - Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a perfectly fun Guy Thing your quilt is. I’m in awe of the quilting and your pieced back is just perfect. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! Perfect for a guy and the quilting is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome finish! I think the quilting it perfect -- I love when happy accidents like that happen. : )

    ReplyDelete