Sunday, July 4, 2021

Stars and Stripes Quilts for July 4th



Happy July 4th!

I finished two Stars and Stripes quilts this week just in time for the holiday.
Pattern is by Thimble Blossoms.


Around the end of June last year, I went through my Island Batik fabric leftovers and I cut out some red and blue fabrics with the intension of finishing these before the 4th last year...


Fast forward one year and they are finally complete. I added a couple different blues I collected through out this year and am glad I did.  No two blue rectangles are the same in one quilt.




I was going to make both quilts using aqua sashing as shown in the pattern but changed my mind after seeing some others on Instagram. 


When I finished the top for the aqua sashing I had looked on Instagram for some quilting inspiration and saw several made with darker sashing.


Luckily I had just enough if the dark navy fabric for the second quilt, and was able to stick with all Island Batik fabric for both tops.


These were quick to sew up.  I pulled out what I had already cut on Monday and by Saturday morning I had both tops together, quilted, and bound.  I worked on them a few hours every night after dinner last week.  

Having the long arm sure helps.  I am so glad I have that.  It only took one and half hours to quilt each one.




For the backs I dug out some oldy but goody fabric.  I have been collecting fabric as long as I have been quilting  and these guys have been waiting their turn to be used up.  I now only have a few inches of each that will go in the scrap bin for something else.


I had intended to make one for me and one to give away, but as soon as this one was finished I felt like it needed to go to my neighbor, so she is now the new owner of this one.


This one I gave away at my family 4th of July party.  I had a jar of red white and blue M&Ms and who ever guessed closest to how many were in the jar won the quilt.  It was fun.  I have been asked to bring a quilt to giveaway at every family function now.  lol.  We shall see...


I still have some left over blue rectangles and red stripes, so maybe I will make one for myself to keep for next year.

Happy Quilting and Happy 4th!

=^..^=
 

1 comment:

  1. Love your quilts. I've used all of my batik reds and blues, but I imagine they make such a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete