Sunday, January 14, 2018

Project Quilting 9.1 - Hometown Proud - Murrells Inlet, SC

The first theme for Project Quilting this year was Hometown Proud.
I first thought about doing my current hometown, we have a great art festival each year in April, called Artfileds and some great re-vitalization going on downtown, but I wasn't sure how to turn that into a quilt.


Then I thought about my hometown as a kid and where we spent a lot of time as a family and I realized I still spend a lot of time there as an adult with my own kids.  Then it hit me what to make.

I decided to make a quilt showcasing the Marsh from Murrells Inlet, SC.
I didn't actual live in Murrells Inlet, but I did live in Myrtle Beach which is right next door, and I have spent many Saturdays throughout my life in Murrells Inlet. 

I started by going through my batik scraps and pulling out my greens, blues, and browns.



Pieced them all together horizontally in different strip widths.

Trimmed them up.

Added a couple egrets, there are always white egrets at the marsh, and quilted it up.


The water at my marsh isn't this blue, but the grasses do get a nice bright green in the summer.


Go Here to vote for your favorites:
Project Quilting 9.1 Hometown Proud

Voting opens at 1pm EST


The quilt measures 40 x 20.


These next few pictures are what I used for inspiration.


One of my favorite places to be.  This is at the end of the Jetties at Huntington Beach state park.  Marsh on one side, ocean on the other.


The marsh grass is super green right after the rain.
There are always birds to be seen


This day I was lucky enough to see Roseate Spoonbills.
They only come for a short time to visit our area and then move on.


This was us,the canoe too, on Christmas Eve last year.
Collecting oysters, clams, and crabbing.  We tried fishing a little too, but no luck that day with fish.
The Marsh grass isn't as green in the winter, but its still just as muddy.

 .



=^..^=

6 comments:

  1. This is a stunning design! I love the way you created a 3-D effect in your shadowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Leah, I love it. The batiks are perfect and you echoed the scene perfectly in you quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just visited Myrtle Beach, Huntington Beach State Park, and Murrell's Inlet for the first time last May, and loved it there! Your project is perfect for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love places like this where birds gather. Your photos and ecplanation make it a really intetesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love the vibrant blue and green and the way you kept the egrets a simple contrast with the batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely piece! I love how you created so much with definition in strips! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete