Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Picnic Quilt - Foodie Blog Hop

 Welcome to day two of the Foodie Blog Hop hosted by Carla of Creatin in the Sticks!




When I first signed up for the hop I had envisioned a taco themed quilt with lots of triangles but then the taco fabric I ordered ended up not coming. It was out of stock...bummer.  On to plan B.  But I didn't have plan B, so I started thinking...




Last year one of my sons said he wanted a picnic quilt. I asked him what a picnic quilt looks like. He said it can look like anything, just something to take on a picnic.  I explained to him the life cycle of quilt and that most picnic quilts, which are usually laid on the ground, have already lived a long useful life before they become picnic quilts.  He said he wanted a new quilt, he didn't want to wait for its life cycle to become a picnic quilt.  So I got to work on a new picnic quilt.




I had been wanting to make this particular Diamond Irish Chain quilt for awhile and I figured it would be perfect for a picnic quilt.  I showed my son a picture and asked if this would qualify and he agreed it would but he wanted it to be a bit bigger.  The photo I showed him was a smaller quilt.  This one measures 67 inch square, big enough for two people to sit on.




This version uses "left overs". Perfect for a foodie blog hop.
I pulled out scraps from both my bright and neutral fabrics, and whipped up something delicious.




The large half square triangles are pretty big and make a 9 inch diamond block and the center nine patches in the chain blocks are three inches!  I love tiny pieces! Lots of fun playing with big and little scraps for this one.




And for the back I had the perfect picnic fabric, Hot Dogs and Pizza!




My son's favorite color is orange so I used orange strips to fill out the rest of the back and the green strips help bring out the relish on the hotdogs and peppers on the pizza.




Waiting on the taco fabric that never came put me a little behind, so I didn't quite have enough time to quilt this one, but it is almost ready to go.  Just need to get the batting ready and get it on the frame!



Thanks for stopping by and make sure to visit all the other bloggers showing off their Foodie creations today!




Happy Sewing!


=^..^=





30 comments:

  1. That is a great design and a greater quilt, I hope your son has many picnics on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great colorful quilt, clever design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable as a two sided quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bright colors! It kind of reminds me of kites dancing in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picnic quilt is lovely, and I can imagine that it will experience amazing outdoor adventures during its life cycle. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt! That hotdog fabric is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt! The back is great too. It will be enjoyed whenever someone uses it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your picnic quilt is gorgeous! I'm sure your son will get a lot of enjoyment from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow your quilt is fabulous. I love that the front and back are different with different feels. thanks for sharing and inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an awesome picnic quilt!!! LOVE the hot dog fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt, both sides. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, beautiful on the front and fun on the back...love it! You did a great job with all those tiny pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love your bright and cheery picnic quilt. What a great stash buster too. Let the picnic season begin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a great picnic, or any other kind of quilt. don't I just love the combo of big and little pieces. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your picnic quilt is very pretty! And the back is super fun with the hot dogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I Iove the quilt! So bright and pretty. That hotdog backing fabric is perfect for a picnic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great picnic rug - both front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one great picnic quilt. I love that you son is very specific about wanting one now, and not waiting for one to age into that role! Good for him and good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely quilt. It's so bright and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just beautiful. Really too nice to lay on the ground for a picnic. I liked your idea of using an old quilt for a picnic; this one is just too gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This quilt is so mouth watering in design and the fabrics. Love the back, too. You always have the happiest quilts and your son is one lucky guy to have a brand new picnic quilt. I'm sorry about the taco fabric, but plan B is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your quilt top. Definitely bright and cheerie, but I've got to admit the hot dogs stole my heart. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sooo pretty! Love the pattern and the fabrics you chose

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is lovely and the hotdog fabric is great for it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the picnic quilt, I have one too, people always gasp when they find out I keep it in the car. The colors are awesome and the fabric on the back is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that your son wanted a picnic quilt! You did great with the theme and that backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous picnic quilt! I backed my picnic quilt with denim in the hopes that it will be more durable and thus last longer. So far so good! I hope your son creates many happy memories with his picnic quilt!

    ~Brandy (brandizzle7133 at gmail dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely stunning quilt! So bright and happy. Love the “hot dog” on the backing. That’s just genius!

    ReplyDelete