Saturday, September 21, 2024

National Sew A Jelly Roll Day - Fall Quilt Top


It's National Sew A Jelly Roll Day!

A day devoted to all those jelly rolls, rollie pollies, and strip sets sitting on shelves or in drawers, waiting their turn to become a quilt.




I got a head start and pulled out this Island Batik Pumpkin Patch strip set I have been holding onto for awhile.

I had a plan for it and didn't waste any time!


Check out my YouTube video to see how I made it and how quickly I stitched this top together!



The quilt is made from a simple square in a square block and uses almost every inch of the strip set. 




 I had a little more than 2.5 inches left from each strip, enough to make my own mini charm pack.




 But those little pieces won't sit around long, I've already got them trimmed up for something else!


To make the top, you need 40 strips.  Island Batik strip sets come with 40 strips, which makes them perfect for this project. The top needs 80 blocks and one strip makes two blocks.

To get started, I paired two prints together and cut each strip into:

Four 6.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles  
and
Six 2.5 x 2.5 inch squares.




 I laid out the block pieces in order and swapped the centers with their paired counterparts.




There was lots of chain sewing...




And assembly line ironing.




And it all went together pretty quick.  
The video above breaks down each step into minutes.




The quilt is laid out with 8 blocks across and 10 blocks down and measures 48 x 60 inches, the perfect size to throw over the couch.,






If you have Jelly Rolls decorating your shelves, give this project a try, it's quick and looks fantastic! And with a jelly roll, you know all the fabrics will play well together.



Happy Sewing!


=^..^=


No comments:

Post a Comment