Thursday, August 25, 2022

See Ya Later, Alligator Blog Hop


 Its been a great week so far of quilty travel ideas for the "See ya later, Alligator Blog Hop" and today is my turn to show off my projects.  We were supposed to create something inspired by travel for the hop.  Anything from places to go, to how you get there, and anything in between.



Well I was inspired by anything in between.  Let me explain how it relates....



Today is my husband's 50th birthday and we traveled to Raleigh, NC for his big 50th birthday party.  His parents will be there, along with five of his siblings and all five of his adult children.  


It's a mini family reunion!  That is definitely something to travel for.




In the past I have given away quilts to some of  my husband's siblings on their 50th birthdays so a quilt for my husband on his 50th birthday only seemed right, but the more I thought about it, the more I started thinking like a hobbit.  



After all this was a big birthday party, and people were coming from all over....



Plus my husband has always been a giver and he would rather give than to receive...



So instead of  making a quilt for my husband, I decided to make 8 jelly roll race quilts for my husband to give away to the families that traveled so far to see him on his 50th birthday.  



Making these quilts for him to give to his family is a way better gift for him than having him open up only one for himself.




When this idea came to me I only had a couple months before the party so I had to use a pattern I could sew up pretty quick.



 I also wanted the quilts to be extra special and have some meaning behind them, after all it's not everyday someone turns 50.



So I cut out 50 strips for each quilt. 



Also each quilt, from front to back, has 50 different blue prints, my husband's favorite color. 



Each family now has a special quilt to take back home with them to always remember the fun we had together during my my husband's 50th birthday party!






Make sure to click on the links below to be taken to all the other hoppers showing off what inspired them for this hop!




Monday, August 22nd



Tuesday, August 23rd



Wednesday, August 24th



Thursday, August 25th



Happy Sewing!


=^..^=




25 comments:

  1. I love this idea and the quilts are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing and they're beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea and your quilts are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing idea and wowowowow, they are all so great. You win the prize for overachiever - love it. The love you put into each one with 50 different fabrics and 50 strips, just amazing. Thanks for sharing your travel story with us. You are a giver, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow, you definitely take the cake in the See Ya Later Alligator category this week. Not only are your quilts beautiful, but so special. You have thought of everything.
    I'm sending my birthday wishes to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing! What a great idea and a special gift for all!! The blues are fabulous. Love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I love your logic and productivity! Enjoy the reunion and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Leah! That's a lot of blue fabric and I bet you don't have a scrap of blue left in your stash now!! All kidding aside, did you use yardage for the strips or scraps from your stash or whatever worked?? I'd love to know. Amazing and generous of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is an incredible alligator project! Such love for family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! They are beautiful and what a wonderful idea! That was a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilts and what a great idea! Happy Birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an amazing accomplishment and a beautiful way to celebrate your husband's birthday. The quilts are so pretty! So much work but I'm sure everyone loved their quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful birthday party all of you will have! I'm sure your husband's family will cherish these quilts and never forget the memories from this occasion. Your husband is a lucky man -- I'm sure he knows. These quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a fantastic idea - to make a quilt for each one at the party. I'm sure the guests were thrilled. They are a beautiful remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! That's a LOT of quilts in a short period of time. But each one is wonderful!! I love the hobbit idea! And I'm sure that each quilt went to its new home with smiles on the new owner's faces!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful idea and creative thinking. Great inspiration and quilts

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a big undertaking in that short amount of time. And so very sweet of you, a birthday to remember for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That was a lot of sewing. And they turned out lovely. Please let us know how all the recipients reacted! Happy Birthday to your DH!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely memento for each relative of your husband's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing and thoughtful idea. The quilts are beautiful and they receivers will alweays remember when where and why they got them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a thoughtful idea for that big 50 birthday. The blue is perfect. I applaud your generosity, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice 50th birthday quilts. I love those blue fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! Love the whole idea of this and the symbolism in the quilts. Congratulations to you for such a fabulous idea and so many quilts for the birthday boy - one to receive and many to give away!

    ReplyDelete