Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Island Batik Marvelous Mini

 


 Is it Christmas yet?  🎄 

It's getting pretty close! The last four months of the year always go so fast. But this year I'm ready! I already have a new Christmas quilt for the season and now I have a nice mini quilt to go with it.



This month Island Batik Ambassadors were challenged to create a Marvelous Mini Quilt. Mini quilts are marvelous for many reasons:

They make great decorations, they can be used to test hard blocks, they are small enough to practice different Quilting motifs, and they help use up the last bit of scraps from another project.


(I'm loving this new wool pressing mat from Prairie Spirit Alpacas)


For my mini quilt I decided to use up the left over Winter Wonders scraps from my New York Beauty project from June. You can find this fabric line in stores now.

These Christmasy fabrics by Kathy Engle are right up my alley and I had just enough to make a small lonestar.

I still had a little more fabric left over so I decided to add some triangles and borders as well. The size of each shape was determined by how much fabric I had left.  This really was a design as you go project. 



I even had the perfect sized scrap of Hobbs Heirloom Premium cotton batting for the middle.





For the quilting I used some red, green, and yellow thread from Aurifil and used a Schmetz Microtex Chrome needle.  They play together perfectly.








I did some simple custom quilting in each section.




This Marvelous Mini measures approximately 23 x 23 inches. 


Are you following along with all the other Island Batik Ambassadors?


Follow this link to check them out:

2022 Island Batik Ambassadors 



Happy Sewing!


=^..^=





4 comments:

  1. Wow- can’t believe you made a mini lone star!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! That will be so lovely for the upcoming Christmas season. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! This really puts me in the Christmas mood, Leah! I love the Lone Star center and I'm loving my mat also!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I was coming over to your blog to look at your Get On Board post and saw this, and it is just beautiful! Love the pattern, the fabrics - everything. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete