Thursday, March 31, 2022

Dolomite Mountains with Aurifil

 


This month Island Batik Ambassadors got to play with some colorful Aurifil threads from their Italian Color Builders collection.



I choose to work with the Dolomite greens.  I had not heard of the Dolomite mountains before, but when I googled it and saw those pretty green hills and valleys in front of the gray mountains I knew I wanted to play with some lush green thread and green fabrics.








Most of the fabrics I used are from Island Batik's foundation line along with a couple scraps leftover from other projects. You can find a foundation print to go with almost any Island Batik collection coming out. They are so versatile.


Now I had the thread and I had picked the fabric, all I needed was a pattern idea!  


Then March came...  and kept going... and I still didn't' have a pattern idea.

I spent most of the month mulling over different ideas of what to create.  I originally envisioned making a landscape quilt, but I couldn't settle on a layout I really liked.  Finally as the end of the month was nearing the idea came.


Something a little more blocky than curvy.




I jotted it down.  A rough sketch on a very small piece of paper.  This was my working pattern. I even taped it to the sewing machine so I could look at it for reference as I put the quilt together.



Since the challenge this month was to be a small wall hanging I went with small pieces.  The small squares measure 1 inch finished.  The rectangles measure 1 x 2 inch finished.






The quilting was fun.  Even though the pattern was blocky, I used the thread to add some curves.  





The curves and waves contrast quite nicely with the sharp edges of the squares and rectangles.  





To me the thread has created movement of rolling hills, climbing mountains, and a windy sky.





I added some extra Aurifil colors to finish out the quilting.












I had the perfect size scrap of Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Bleached Cotton Batting for this project.  

It shows off the quilting beautifully.






And of course, sewn together and quilted with a Schmetz microtex needle.





Happy Sewing!


=^..^=





2 comments: