Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Blue and Green Delectable Mountains


I need to blog about are these two Delectable Mountain Quilts I finished earlier this fall.  I posted a picture of them on Instagram in October but didn't get around to posting about them on here.

This fall I had two Dad birthday's: my  Dad's birthday and my Father‐in‐laws. I wanted to make both of them something special. They both share the same favorite colors. 



So I went to my Island Batik stash and picked out 20 different greens and 20 different blues and cut a 10 inch strip from each one.  Then I cut those strips into four 10 x 10 squares.

That gave me 80 squares, enough for two quilts with only a few scraps left over.



I cut each square in half diagonally...


 and paired a blue triangle with a green triangle and made 160 half Square triangles. 


I trimmed each one to 9 inches, lots of trimming...



but I had good company.




Then I cut them into 2.25 strips and sewed them into mountains. 



I used the same layout from my first Delectable Mountains Quilt I made this summer.




There are so many layout options, but I was thinking this layout would show off  blue rivers flowing through green mountains... 



well the different shades of blue didn't quite give off that river vibe I was going g for but that's OK. They turned put pretty cool anyway.





They were identical other than the bindings, one has a green binding and the other has a blue binding and the backings were different.  One had a green wide backing and the other I did my stripped backing so I could use up of some older blues and greens from my stash.



Other than the trimming down of the half squared triangles, these two quilts went together quicker than I thought.  It was nice to hand them off to their new owners.



=^..^=




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Leah! The fabrics are so nice! Do you remember how many days it took you to make one? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! Great job :) I have been wanting to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors!! Congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete