Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Unicorn One Block Wonder - Fairy Tale Blog Hop

 

Welcome to day two of the Fairy Tales Blog Hop hosted by Joan of Moose Stash Quilting.

Hopefully you are not sick of seeing One Block Wonders, this is my third post in a row with them, but I couldn't resist sewing this panel up for this hop.  Unicorns with beautiful colors and a castle glowing in the background... all kind of fairy tale goodness going on here.  




I got tired of flipping the ruler back and forth cutting one strip at a time into triangles, so I laid out all my strips and cut them one way then turned the ruler and went back and cut them all the other way.
Made it a wee bit quicker.



I saved the edges of each strip and sewed those together to create even more triangles.  




I had over 200 hexagons with the extras I pieced together.  I used all but one and a half.




I am loving the colors in some of these blocks!




They didn't all fit on the design board.  Had to squeeze everything in.



I love pressing the seams open.  Some people press them all one way and then swirl the center, which works too, but I really love this look!





So many fun hexagons in this one.  The panel was a wide one, a full 36 inches. 
I cut my strips at 3.25 inches.  With everything sewn together the top measures approximately 85 x 83 inches.  It's a biggie!


Check out the back with all those open seams!  Super cool. 
Next up for this one is to pick out some backing and get it quilted!


Make sure to keep hopping to see all the wonderful Fairy Tale inspiration today!


32 comments:

  1. Wow, what a magical quilt! All those hexagons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That is beautiful. If you keep on making these, I just might have to try one for myself. Perfect fairy tale! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I love this quilt! I would like to make one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had originally thought unicorns too, but your project is much more detailed than I could have done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was originally thinking unicorns too, but my project wouldn’t have been as detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I keep telling myself to make another one and You keep reminding me! Thank you. I love how the OBW can turn a panel into something so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect panel to make into a quilt for this hop. I'm always amazed at all the color combinations of the hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've long been enchanted with those one block wonder quilts! This one is incredible. I "LOVE" it! The front is absolutely gorgeous, but the back is really gorgeous as well. It's too bad you have to quilt it now. LOL!! Beautiful job thanks for playing with Fairy Tales and inspiring us all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredible...love it! Thank you for showing the process because I'd never seen how it was done. Gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to have to research this block ... This is an absolutely stunning way to showcase those lovely panels! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely stunning. Wonderful Fairy Tale quilt. Those open seams are really cool to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt, and an excellent Fairy Tale Quilt! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, Leah, this is so amazing and I'm so in love with it. The colors of each block is so striking and made this panel sing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic quilt! Great work with the panel OBW

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one gorgeous quilt! I love it and think it is so awesome. The back is something to behold too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one gorgeous quilt! I love it and think it is so awesome. The back is something to behold too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is beautiful well done I love the look of one block wonder quilts but so far I haven't done on

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! This quilt is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome quilt! I have one cut out and the 7th panel to insert. Now to get it together. Thanks for sharing (I never get tired of seeing OBWs)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a day late popping in, but just wanted to say I love your OBW unicorn quilt! I had a thing for unicorns in my teens and early 20's.
    I'm late, I'm late for
    A very important date.
    No time to say hello, good-bye,
    I'm late, I'm late, I'm late
    I'm late and when I wave,
    I lose the time I save.
    My fuzzy ears and whiskers
    Took me too much time to shave.
    I run and then I hop, hop, hop,
    I wish that I could fly.
    There's danger if I dare to
    Stop and here's a reason why:
    I'm over-due, I'm in a rabbit stew.
    Can't even say good-bye,
    Hello, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just an amazing quilt! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another beautiful OBW. The panel is just incredible. I love even the back with your seams pressed open.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is absolutely beautiful!! I'm always amazed by one-block wonder quilts!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing colourful, magical quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful quilt! I've never tried a one-block wonder, but they look very cool. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such an amazing quilt. I love the colors as well as the unicorns and castles. Perfect for the Fairy Tales Blog Hop! This is well above my skill level. Maybe one day I'll get to a project like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that is a awesome quilt!! Love all the colors and details, perfect for this hop! xx

    ReplyDelete