Thursday, January 14, 2021

Island Batik Medallion Quilt - Holiday in the Woods

 

When I first read the theme for the December Island Batik Ambassador Challenge,  I knew I wanted to make a a huge Christmas quilt.  I got started on it right away because I wanted to have time to finish it before December ended.  



I was doing great,  I had the pattern created in the first couple days, started making all the blocks and had the top ready to go a week before Christmas.  


I started quilting it with the intention to show it off on Christmas Day and then Corona hit.  Bleh. I was down for the count for 15 days,  couldn't even stand up at the quilt machine.  But I am finally feeling better and now it is time to show of my December challenge quilt.  I call it Holiday in the Woods.

This was my center block.  Everything revolves around the evening star.


I had a lot of fun pulling different reds and greens to create all the different blocks.


I used several different fabrics from different Island Batik lines and fabrics from the foundations collections.



The Season Splendor line by Kathy Engle that hit stores in May had lots of greens and reds that fit perfect.



For the background I used Island Batik White fabric.



I pulled a scrap out of my personal Island batik collection for the roof of the houses.


I used a bit of green from the American Frontier Collection as well.


The yellows were also from the scrap bin.


Pinwheels, candy, and Stars all ready to be put in rows.





I used EQ 8 to get my rows the perfect size to fit each block.  I started with one center block and kept adding pieced borders to get the look I wanted.







Everything was sewn together using Schemtz needles.  Even the quilting was done with Schmetz.  That's what I love about my Bernina longarm. I can put what ever needle I want in there.




I quilted most of the quilt with White Aurifil Thread #2021.





I also used some Aurifil Yellow # 2120...


And Aufifil Red #2260.  


This quilt is huge just like I wanted,  it measures approximately 84 x 84 inches.


I needed two quilt holders to hold this beauty up.


I am also happy to announce I will be an Island Batik Ambassador again for 2021.   Stay tuned to see what fun Island Batik projects I will be creating this year.






=^..^=


8 comments:

  1. Stunning, Leah! And I'm glad you're recovered and back at quilting. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt, and sorry you were felled by CV19...glad you are on the mend. You did a great job with this design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful quilt! I'm so glad you're are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful!! I love the different elements you chose to highlight in your Christmas quilt, and especially the houses at the center. Beautiful! (And I'm glad to know you are feeling better!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome quilt! I totally love it, so fun and festive. Glad you are feeling better, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and cheerful quilt! Love the house blocks in the corners ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I hope you are totally over Corona and feeling a lot better.
    Just wanted to tell you how much I like Holiday in the Woods. It is just gorgeous!!!
    I did a limited search to see if you had put any blocks out, but couldn't find any. Are you planning to share any or do you plan to publish it? Please let me know since I would love this pattern.
    Thanks for the information.
    Stay safe,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete