Tuesday, March 26, 2019

All About Strings Blog Hop - Spring Strings

Hey everyone and welcome to my day of the All About Strings Blog Hop hosted by Carla of Creatin' in the Sticks.



The Hop is running till Thursday, so make sure to follow along for some fabric String inspiration.
The full schedule is listed at the bottom of the page.




 It is officially Spring here. Flowers are blooming all around town and in honor of all the beautiful blooms and colors sprouting up...

I decided to go with a Springtime theme with my Strings.





 I am calling this one Spring Strings. It measures approximately 72 x 54 inches.



 These tulips are big blocks coming in at 11 1/4 x 21 inches and today I would like to share my tutorial on how I made them, but before we get into all that...





 I want to show off  another smaller string project I made for the hop.  A mini tuffet pin cushion.  Isn't it so cute! I have the pattern for the regular size tuffet but decided to start out with this mini one.  It was quick to put together with some of my batik strings and not as frightening as I imaged it would be.  I sewed it up in one evening. The pattern suggested spray painting the legs and I may do that once I figure out what color use.  

And now for the tutorial on the Tulip Block.

If you would like to make your own, start by picking fabric strings in your favorite color,
 or if you like, you can even make scrappy tulips.  My strings measured from 1.25 to 1.5 inches.




Create a 10 x 4.5 inch strip of your favorite strings.

The strip can be a wee bit longer than 10 inches if your strips are longer. No need to trim them to exactly 10 inches, we will trim later, but the width does needs to be trimmed to 4.5 inches. 

Clean up the right edge with your ruler and rotary cutter. 

Using a 45 degree ruler, cut off a triangle from the right edge. 

Make sure you leave 1/4 inch seam allowance on the right side.  This can be easily done with the "Easy Angle Ruler" or any ruler that helps you make flying geese.  I used the Flying Geese ruler by Mari Michell because it was close.  But you can also eyeball it.  Just be generous if you eyeball it.  It's easier to trim it down than cut a whole new piece.








Cut a 5 inch White Square, sub-cut it on the diagonal to get two white triangles.

(If your going to cut a lot, you can cut a 4.5 inch strip and used the "Easy Angle Ruler" to cut the triangles. That is what I did and why one end of my triangles has a notch at the top.)
Cut a 2.5 inch White Square.

Make a small 2.5 inch square from your strings.

Cut a 2.5 a 4.5 inch White Rectangle.

Angle the two pieces from the original string 10 inch strip set to form the base of the tulip.  Make sure all the strings are going the same direction.

Sew a white triangle to both the  angled edges of your larger string pieces.  Press.  Trim the smaller square to 4.5 inches. This creates a Half Square Triangle and will make one side of the tulip.

Trim the longer string strip to measure 8.5 x 4.5 inches. 

Sew the 2.5 inch String square together with the 2.5  inch white square.

Press and then sew the 4.5 x 2.5 inch white rectangle to the newly sewn String/White rectangle.  This creates the 4.5 inch square for the top of the tulip.

Sew the 4.5 inch top square of the tulip to the 4.5 inch half square triangle that makes up one side of the tulip.




You should now have two halves of the tulip.  Sew these two halves together.

If all has gone well you should now have a cute tulip block that measures 8 inch square.



Cut two 7 inch white squares, sub cut these on the diagonal to give you 4 triangles.

Or if you are cutting a lot like me you can use the easy angle ruler and cut a 6.5 inch strip and cut your triangles that way.






Sew these four white triangles to the tulip block. I sewed opposite sides first, then flipped the block and added the other two sides.


For the leaves, make a 10 inch strip of green strings, sub-cut to make two 4.5 inch squares.


Cut four 2 inch white squares.  Draw a line on these on the diagonal using your favorite method. I pressed mine in half with the iron to create a sewing line.

Align your two green squares side by side with the strings going vertical.  Place a white square in the upper right corner and lower left corner of the Left square.

Do the opposite for the right square, placing a white square in the upper left and lower right.

It is good idea to lay them out by your machine in the way you want to sew them.  This will save you time you don't want to spend with the seam ripper later.

Sew on the line you marked. I like to sew a thread's width on the side of the line towards the seam allowance.  This way my triangle won't shrink when I iron it out.

Trim off the excess fabric from each  each white corner by cutting 1/4 inches away from the seam.  Press.



Cut two 4 x 4.5 in white rectangles.

Align the 4.5 edges together and sew the white rectangles to the top of the leaf square.

Cut a 1 x 8 inch green strip.
Sew the leave sections to the strip.

This creates the stem.


Cut two 8 x 1 7/8 white strips.  Or you can cut them 8 x 2 and trim them down later.  Sew these to the sides of the leaf block.

Cut one 2.5 x 11.75 inch white strip.
Sew this to the bottom of the leaf block.


Sew the top of the tulip to the leaf section.

My unfinished tulip block measured  21.5 x 11.75.

Sewing with triangles always makes things tricky, so if the top of your tulip block comes out wider or smaller, just adjust the width of the white side strips on the leaf section to match the top of your tulip section. Then cut the length of the bottom 2.5 inch strip to match the width of the top of the tulip.



For even more inspiration, here are some throwback images to some of my previous string projects.
Almost all of them were made for Project Quilting.


The Marsh. One of my Project Quilting entries from last year.


Winter Sleep - Another PQ entry - Theme was trees that week.


Lollipop Orchard. - String background. Another PQ entry.


Relaxing Starfish - My first ever entry for project Quilting.

Shirt Quilt


Make sure you find time to check out the other projects being posted today.





And if you missed any yesterday,  Here is the whole schedule.  We will be here all week! ...  well at least till Thursday. 

Monday, March 25th



Tuesday, March 26th



Wednesday, March 27th



=^..^=


40 comments:

  1. I loved looking at all your string projects. They are all beautiful. My fav would be between the Marsh and the Starfish. Very lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spring strings is definitely for spring, its bright and beautiful. Your other projects are so pretty. My favorites would be the Marsh and the Starfish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless, Leah. Your Spring quilt is LOVE. You are so generous to share the full tutorial too. Thank you for joining the All About Strings Blog Hop. Oh my goodness, that mini tuffet is too precious too. All your quilts are amazing. I'm always inspired by your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas...I am doing the shirt quilt from bonnie hunters blog..But not shirts just scrap strings threw the years...or fill a bag for a buck...lol happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow! I love the tulips and I love the pincushion! Your previous projects wow me too, especially the marsh and the tree! Thanks so much for the tutorial and for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! What a great idea and a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your string projects are all fabulous, but Spring Strings is STUNNING! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many pretty string quilts. Thank you for the tulip block tutorial also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love what you did with this standard tulip block. Great tutorial too. All your creations are so lovely. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so inspiring. Love the tulips and am so glad you shared your tutorial with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow all of your projects are wonderful. I love your tulips and your pincushion. Thank you for sharing today. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the string tulip and leaves. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful string project, love the tulips and thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tulip quilt is fabulous. I'm studying the technique to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The perfect quilt for this blog hop and Spring too. Your tulips are so cheerful and bright! What a great quilt. I like all your past projects too. Nice tutorial as well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A seasonally appropriate quilt, an adorable pin cushion, a tutorial, and more? Wow!! You really went all out for this Blog Hop. Fantastic string-y projects, the lot of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for the tutorial too. I see tulips blooming around here soon. (or as soon as I sort my strings) LOL!! What a fun and inspirational post. So many sting things to entice us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Just beautiful! Great tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE THE TULIPS! SUCH A NEAT QUILT! THANKS FOR SHARING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can't decide which string quilt of yours is my favorite! They are all awesome. Thanks for the tutorial. Also love Winter Sleep- what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfectly Just in time for the Season. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful quilt and a great tutorial also! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love everything about this quilt. Thanks for the tutorial. Such a lovely spring project I may have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt -- thanks for sharing how you made it! String quilts are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful string projects!!! Love the way you used strings for the background of your The Marsh and Winter Sleep...gorgeous!! Your tulips are perfect for spring and thank you so much for the directions to make the tulips!! I've had to save this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such happy gorgeous flowers, and you have so many great string projects. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh! Your post has inspired me! Thank you for the tutorial. I need some Spring colors here in Michigan as the snows melt and the brown leaves and grass appear. I might be able to get a tablerunner made before the colors appear out my window.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful string quilt. I had to look closely to see the strings in those beautiful flowers. I love the other quilts as well. You have a bright and cheerful style...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your string tulip quilt is wonderful. A perfect spring choice. Your other quilts are great also. Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoyed your string quilt show. The tulip quilt is sew bright and happy. Thank you for the tutorial and for sharing in the hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh aren't you clever making string tulips!! Love it and thank you for sharing your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is really beautiful, both the piecing and the quilting! Thanks for the tutorial for making the blocks, that looks like a great way to use strings.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is by far my favorite string quilt. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  34. WoW, lots of great creative inspiration on this page. I loved all of these projects, and even tho I'm not a big pin cushion user, I want that pin cushion. :) Loved the landscape projects also. I've seen them done with strings before but haven't yet taken the time to try it. I should get on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my gosh, that is just the prettiest string quilt and perfect for spring! Love it and that cute, cute tuffet.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my gosh!! How creative is that!! and thank you for the tutorial!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. beautiful tulips. thank you sew very much for the wonderful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your tulips string quilt. Thanks for the tutorial. I would love the make this. Your other projects are pretty too. Especially the Winter Sleep and Lollipop Orchard.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh I love them! Thanks so much for the tutorial, need to try it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the tulip block tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete