Sunday, January 22, 2017

Project Quilting Week 2: Carolina Lily

This is my entry for week two of Project Quilting.
It measures 30 x 30 inches.
The theme this week was Carolina Lily.

Inspiration didn't come as quick as last week, I was stumped as to what to do.  I couldn't decide between an artsy abstract version or a traditional version.

After looking around on Pinterest I found this cute paper pieced block and put it on file for a back up mini quilt option if it came down to the wire. The only problem was I couldn't find the where this block came from.  The Pinterest link took me to blank page with just the image.  I copied and saved the image and dragged it into the google image search hoping it would take me to the original poster, but all I got were bad Pinterest links. So I put it on the back burner.

Come Friday I was still undecided.  That little block was going to be my best option, but I'd have to redraw it on my own to make it work.  Finally inspiration struck.


This image popped up in my Pinterest feed. It comes from Judy Martin's Book Shining Stars and I decided to recreate something similar using the Lily Block above.  I knew the Lonestar part would sew up lickety split using strips and chain piecing. It would be the 8 lily blocks that would take up most of my time.

The First thing I did was redraw the lily block so I could paper piece it. It didn't take as long as I thought it would in EQ7.  All I had to do was load the image and trace it. Piece of cake. Then I played around with some layouts.  I liked the one on the right with big lilies in the corners, but I knew I was already short on time so I went with the one in the middle.


By Friday evening I had my layout, my paper piecing pattern printed, cut, and fabric pulled, and was starting on my 8 lily blocks.

Luckily I had my most of my Saturday free to work on this quilt.  I finished up the lily blocks and got to work on the Lonestar pieces.  I went with rainbow colors again.  I can't help it, they are so pretty!
Since this quilt is only 30 x 30 inches, these Lonestar diamonds started out with 1.5 inch strips.

Working on the Lonestar sections.  I don't actually plan on making a Lonestar each week of project quilting, but it may end up being a fun side theme trying to see how I can incorporate a Lonestar pattern into each theme. We shall see what week three brings.

Saturday night I had all my pieces sewn and early Sunday morning I got up and put everything together.  I didn't have time for any fancy quilting on this one.  I barely had time to stitch in the ditch around some of the major areas. I finished the last binding stitch at 8:50am and went outside to take its picture.  It was pouring rain, so the front porch swing was my only option.  I put a very quick blog post up so I could link my entry and by then it was 9am and time to get ready for church.

It was a weekend full of sewing, but was so worth it!
Check out all the other entries HERE and vote for your 10 favorite!



=^..^=

9 comments:

  1. I am loving your lone star variations...can't wait to see you next few quilts in this fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, this is absolutely stunning! I was stumped (and too busy with work) with this PQ challenge to take part. I just love what you did with it...looking forward to reading the details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, and AMAZING for just one week! You're a wonder

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. I love the different designs you put together on EQ7. Congratulations on getting it finished in time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So gorgeous. It's raining and very cold here, so I particularly enjoyed that bright rainbow of color today. Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is BEAUTIFUL! Love how you explained your inspiration. I also found the same block on Pinterest and a "back up" but ultimately went a completely different way :) I'm so glad you found a way to use it! Your colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete