Friday, June 28, 2024

Quilt for a Cause - June Island Batik Ambassador Challenge

This month Island Batik Ambassadors were challenged to make a quilt for Quilts Across America, a charity program by Deb Tucker's Tucker University and Studio 180 Designs. Each Ambassador was provided a different Studio 180 design ruler to use in their projects.


Quilts Across America is supporting the program Sleep in Heavenly Peace, “No kid sleeps on the floor in our town.”   Sleep in Heavenly Peace is an international organization made up of volunteers dedicated to assembling and delivering top-notch beds to children and families in need. Check out their website for more information at:  Sleep in Heavenly Peace.



For my project, I received the Four Patch Squared Up Ruler and paired it with another one of the Deb Tucker Rulers, the V Block Trimmer to make my Triangle in a Square units.  




I wanted a lot of fun bright colors so I used a precut called Woodstock, an Island Batik fabric line by Kathy Engle for Canton Village Quilt Works.  I paired it with some Island Batik Foundations, Celery and Marine, and two older yellow and red Island Batik prints.



A 10 inch square gives you six triangles, plus some extra side triangles. I didn't need them all for each print, so I put the extras aside for another project.  I used the darker greens from the precut for my four patches.


Boonky was on duty to supervise the cutting.



Two Triangle in a Square units got sewn together make the sashing.



The new Oliso Smart Iron I was sent in my January Ambassador box knocked out the pressing in no time and gave me nice crisp blocks.  Check out my sped up pressing video on YouTube:







I used a Schmetz 90/14 universal needle for piecing and a Schmetz 90/14 quilting needle to quilt everything together.





I wanted this quilt to be fluffy, so I used some Hobbs Poly-Down Premium Polyester batting and it turned out perfect.



 The polyester batting makes the quilt look super snuggly and it passed Avi's kitty inspection with flying colors.






The instructions for these charity quilts called for simple quilting, so I did a loose all over swirly meander.





It worked well with the polyester batting.




The quilt measures approximately 57 in x 75 in.




I designed this quilt in EQ8.  I started out with the four patches then added sashing. I fiddled around with different blocks in the sashing and really liked the look of the double triangle units and how they give the illusion of small circles.  The green patches inside the circles make me think of marbles, so I am calling this one Square Marbles.



This quilt does have a lot of Triangle in a Square units which can be time consuming for a quick charity quilt, so I fiddled around more in EQ8 and came up with a quicker, yet just as fun, version using split rectangles for the sashing and took out some of the yellow cornerstones.  The split rectangles only have one seam and you only need 54 of them compared to the 116 triangles units.  It gives the quilt a whole new look. 




Deb Tucker has a Spilt Rects ruler too, which would help make his version sew up quick and precise.


Quilt Requirements for these particular charity quilts are as follows:

• Size between 50” to 60” wide and 75” to 90” long.
• Simple quilt designs.
• Colors that appeal to kids and young adults from 2 to 17 years of age.
• No religious or holiday themed fabrics.
• Quilted, not tied.
• Machine bound is preferred.
• No buttons or glued on embellishments.
• Simple allover quilting is recommended.


If you want to make your own check out my tutorials page for some free instructions.

And visit the Sleep in Heavenly Peace website to see if there is a donation location in your area.


Happy Sewing!


=^..^=


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous design! I really love the way you combined the two tools to create this quilt. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete