Tuesday, June 18, 2024

For the Birds Blog Hop Challenge

 



Welcome to day two of "For the Birds Blog Hop Challenge" hosted by Joan of Moose Stash Quilting.



For this hop we were challenged to sew anything bird related. So I hand stitched a bird.



I found a YouTube video, by Red Rocking Bird, for a cute hand stitched bird, so I grabbed my Flutter Wings scraps, an Island Batik fabric line by Kathy Engle, and got to stitching.





I cut out all my pieces while sitting outside listening to the birds chirping. It was the perfect setting for bird stitching.  You can sew this with a sewing machine, but I was away from the machine this weekend and decided it would make a great hand project.




I must say I thought I was pretty confident with my hand stitching skills. But this little project taught me there is definitely room for improvement.




After turning all the pieces right side out, I had to add some extra stitching to fix some odd looking bumps.




I was going to use the bird as a pin cushion, but I stuffed it with small fabric scraps and my pins don't want to go through all that, so I'll use him as decoration by my sewing machine.




I need to get him some cute eyes. The pattern suggests pins. But I don't have any small round ones. Most of mine are flat head pins or big headed pins.




Next time I go into town I'll see if I can find something that fits.

Be sure to hop on over to the other sites today to check out all the other bird projects.





Happy Sewing!


=^..^=




15 comments:

  1. Very cute little bird. I think your stitching looks great. Love those bright fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really adorable bird; I'm going to try that one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little birdie and so colorful too. You can use little buttons for the eyes. With a long needle stitch in the hole of the button and then poke needle out the other side to stitch the other button on and pull in slightly to make a little dent where the eyes are. Knot thread and bury threads like you do a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwie! You get an A+ for hand stitching that sweet little birdie. Oh and those bright colors! What's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to make one of those bird pincushions and I have to say yours looks so much better than mine. It's very cute and the fabrics make it look so fun! Thanks for sharing, Leah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable little birds. You could use beads for eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s such a colorful and cute bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute little birdie! I love it--thanks for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leah, your bird is adorable! So very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got yourself one sweet little bird there! I'll bet you were all a'flutter when you were done and sat back to admire your work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a cute bird! Thank you for sharing the link to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your little bird is SEW cute and colorful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leah, this is just adorable!! You did great hand stitching this little birdie! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete