Sunday, January 30, 2022

Island Batik Gradients - Step by Step




January's Island Batik Ambassador challenge was all about gradients.  







I got to play with some ravishing reds.




I had to build this one very carefully so I didn't put the wrong shades in the wrong spot. I started in the corners and worked my way to the middle. I put the 20 different colors in pairs so each rectangle has one dark and one light fabric along with some solid black and gray.



The triangles go from dark to light starting from the bottom left and the strips go from dark to light starting from the top right.  Its double gradient movement meeting in the middle.




I sewed and quilted this one with microtex needles by Schmetz.
They sure work great with Island Batik Fabric.




For the quilting I used Aurifl thread in gray #2605 and red #2260
The red looked great on the black and even the light colored fabrics.






Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 bleached cotton batting was perfect for this quilt.




It quilted out nice and smooth.








This quilt measure approximately 54 x 48.




How long did it take me to make it?




Not including design time,  it took 8 Star Wars movies.

So I think I may call this one Force Gradients.  Which side do you prefer?  The light or the dark?






Boonky checked out all the different fabrics before I cut everything up.



Afterwards...Boonky tested and approved.


Happy Sewing!


=^..^=



6 comments:

  1. This is stunning. It looks so much bigger than you noted, and it's gorgeous. I love how you played with the gradients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very eye catching, pretty quilt with a unique pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt! I love the gradients and the way you have them move through the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a tough choice! It's beautiful. Love the diamonds. And as long as Boonky approves it has to be A-OK, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eight Star Wars movies ~ LOL! I prefer the light, but my 12 y.o. is definitely on the dark side. Yikes! Your quilt is gorgeous! I love the design and the way the gradients flow. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete