Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Island Batik Quilt Modern Blog Hop



Welcome to day two of the Island Batik Quilt Modern Blog Hop. 





Today I get to show off my Mountain Rain quilt I made with the new Island Batik fabric line called Forecast by Ebony Love of Love Bug Studios. It should be hitting shops this month! 






When I got this stack of weather themed prints all I could think of was rain on mountains, so I drew an abstract a pattern and sewed it up. 



Good old graph paper for the win!





I wanted two different kinds of rain. Diamond rain and long straight rain.






For the diamonds, I used the Diamond Recs tool by Studio 180 Designs.
I really like this tool. It cuts the center diamond perfect and the outer edges just a wee bit bigger than needed and then you trim it down to a perfect rectangle. 



The mountains and the clouds were improve paper piecing, sort of. I drew the shapes right then on paper then sewed them out. There was definitely some improve piecing in between the rain and the mountains to get everything to come together. That should qualify as modern, right? I hope so. Either way, it was a fun project to work on and I used every fabric in the Forecast bundle for this quilt.



This one was quilted with Hobbs Premium Polyester. batting  I quilted all over wavy lines and it tuned out so soft and fluffy.







I used White Aurifil Thread for the quilting on this one. Since the dark prints also have some light in them the white blended perfectly.





And of course I used a Schmetz needle. They always have the perfect needle for my projects.





Make sure to check out my fellow Island Batik Ambassadors Joan Hart of Unicornharts to see what she created with Forecast.




Happy Sewing! And May the 4th be with you!!




=^..^=

15 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job, this is a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun rain! I like that it's both abstract and also gives a pretty realistic representation. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt!! I love It!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and beautiful quilt you made. I love those weather batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great design! Very modern take on mountains and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! The fabrics and design you used is just amazing and so spiritual, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt, it's so much fun and really showcases those lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilt, thank-you for eye candy.

    ReplyDelete