Saturday, July 25, 2020

Christmas in July - Island Batik Ambassador Challenge



I love sharing my love of quilting and this month Island Batik and Accuquilt are letting me do just that in a big way!



For the July Challenge, Ambassadors were sent a an Accuquilt GO! Me Fabric Cutter Starter Set, a small version of their GO! Fabric Cutter that includes a GO! Half Square Triangle-3” Finished Square and GO! Quarter Square Triangle-3” Finished Square.  



We were challenged to make a project using only the dies that came with the starter set and give that project and the Go Me Starter Set to someone.





I chose to give it to my friend Catrina. She came to my beginner quilt class over a year ago and has really taken off with quilting.  A month before class she had never even opened her sewing machine and now her goal this year is to finish nine quilts for her relatives for Christmas. She is almost done with all the tops! She said the next quilt she is going to make is a pinwheel quilt so this cutter set is perfect for her! 





I wanted to make a throw sized quilt for Catrina and asked her in advance some of her favorite colors. She gave me a lot to play with: Blue, green, teal, ocean colors, and sunset colors. 

I went through all the fabrics Island Batik sent me ended up using the last bit of my blues from River Valley fabric line - created for Deb Tucker of 180 Studio Desings by Kathy Engle, a wee bit of orange from the Ancient Etchings line - designed by Jackie Kunkel of Canton Village Quilt Works, and several pieces from Island Batiks foundations: Pumpkin, Cornmeal, Lagoon, Wavy Dots Cherry, and Sprinkles for the white background,



I cut strips wide enough to cover the die, layered them up and ran it through the Go Me.  I cut out my Half Square Triangles within 15 minutes the first night and cut out the Quarter Square Triangles the next evening. Cutting was super quick.


This quilt is made by alternating two different variations of the Ohio Star Block, each block is made with only HSTs and QSTs.



Block A


Block B


Block B.   I like to sew one block and then chain piece the rest.  I stack the finished squares in the layout I want them and then start sewing.  

These are the pieces for the Quarter Square triangles for Block A.
Again, I put all my pieces in the layout they should be in the quilt.

Then turn them slightly so the seam I want is facing the way they will go under the sewing machine.  That way I know I am sewing on the correct edge.

All my Block Bs with one block A.


Working on Block A. I stacked these as well and eventually made one big pile of unpieced A blocks then chain pieced them together in rows.
These blocks show off a lot of the River Valley blue fabrixs.


 
I wasn't sure how to quilt this until Catrina commented on one of my instagram photos this block reminded her of Hawaiian Lava, then it hit me to quilt some all over flames.  I used a lovely soft yellow Auriful Thread for this, #2130 and in the middle of the quilt sandwich is Hobbs Nautical Cotton batting

 




And of course I quilted it with a Schmetz microtex needle.
I seldom think to take a picture of the needle, but these needles work great with my projects!




Some of the Quilting




This one ended up being border-less.  And goes slightly over throw size by a few inches.
It measures 45 x 63.



Make sure to check out all the other Island Batik Ambassadors to see their Christmas in July projects and their recipients.  Happy Quilting!




=^..^=

5 comments:

  1. ❤🌋🏝🌅. You nailed it. It's absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flame quilting! And your design shows off this combination of colors so well! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you combined the colors from several different collections. They look amazing together. The quilting design in the yellow thread is so complimentary, too. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, what is the name of this quilt pattern and where can it be found. I have read everything and cannot found it. I recently got my Go Me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cindy, It is a layout I created myself using two different variations of Ohio Star Blocks. You can see the coloring for each block A and block B in the middle of the post. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete