Saturday, February 24, 2018

Project Quilting 9.4 Mellow Yellow

The theme for week four of Project Quilting was "Mellow Yellow."  Not the soda, but the color.  We had to use Yellow as our main fabric for this project.

My quilt is titled "Yellow Bellied Birdies" and measures about 30 inch Square.
I decided to go smaller this week compared to last week as I had a busy week planned.  I managed to squeeze in a few nights of sewing this week and  it helped to have Monday off from work as well.


I actually have a lot of yellows in my stash and love using it in my quilts I just needed the perfect pattern to go with them. My first thought was stars since they are traditionally yellow so I went to my paper piecing board on Pinterest to find a good pattern I have saved and always wanted to make. As I was scrolling I saw this cute Bird pattern.



I couldn't find a link to it, just the image someone saved from someone else who saved it from someone else from an email...If that makes sense. 


I made one bird to test the pattern, then used the papers I tore out as templates to cut out all the background fabric pieces I needed for the rest of the 15 birds.


 The bird isn't too detailed and came together pretty quick. Particularly with chain piecing.




Once I had all the fabric cut to the right shapes it made paper piecing a 15 more blocks super quick.

Each block finished at 6 inches.



Make sure you check out all the other "Mellow Yellow" entries:

And vote for your favorites starting at 12 noon CST on Sunday 2/25.




=^..^=

8 comments:

  1. Your Yellow Bellied Birdies are so sweet! I can almost hear them singing and chirping as spring struggles to arrive in these parts. I would have no clue how to create a paper-pieced pattern, but you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Leah. That's a whole lot of paper piecing in one week. Great way to use yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Yellow Bellied Birdies are adorable! What a great way to complete the blocks by chain piecing. Well done on your paper-piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It reminds me that I have a bunch of improv bird blocks hiding somewhere in my piles of fabric. I need to do something with them to welcome spring. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is all I can say. I love birds of all kinds and birdwatch quite a bit. Will this ever be a paper pieced pattern to offer us? Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute quilt - perfect for cheering up a wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the yellow bellied birds. Very springy and pretty and love the background too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete