Monday, August 31, 2020

The Economy Quilt


When I was making my Snails Squared quilt, I made some boo boo's and cut the wrong color fabric for the wrong sections. This left me with some extra triangles just floating around. 


Well, I didn't want these triangles to get lost in the scrap pile so I decided to make a baby sized quilt using 6 inch economy blocks and the rest of the 10 inch precut of William's Garden, an Island Batik signature collection by Kathy Engle for Deb Tucker of Studio 180 Design.  Precuts are available now, yardage is coming September/October.
I wanted at least 30 blocks, 5 across and 6 down, to get a usable sized quilt, so I had to get a little creative with my piecing Since I had used some parts of several squares from the precut in my previous quilt. I ended up sewing two smaller pieces together to get all the triangles I needed.






Some went together perfect...Have to be really searching to find them.







others ... You can definitely see the two pieces if your looking close.





Once all the squares and triangles were cut it was time for chain piecing. 




By chain piecing and using the Square Squared ruler from Studio 180 Design  I was able to sew these thirty blocks together in one evening.  The Technique Sheet for the Square Squared ruler shows you how to easily make Economy Blocks.






I originally wanted to butt all the blocks next to each other, I love that look, but then the quilt would have been super small at 30 in x 36 in. 



So I sampled some sashing and took a vote with family and friends. 
To Sash or not to Sash? That was the question.
Sashing won, 100%.




The Sashing finished at 1 1/2 inches making the quilt 39 in x 46.5 inches.
This was a nice size as I didn't have to piece the backing and could use a 45 inch wide piece of fabric.

Another good thing about this one being so small is that it quilted up super fast. It was getting close to bedtime and I had just thrown in a load of laundry and needed something to do while I waited, so I put this one on the quilt frame and it was done before the laundry. 


I quilted and an allover design of swirls and curves using 50 wt Aurifil Thread number 1148 Light Jade.  The Light Jade looks perfect over the green, blue, and purple fabrics.

I had the perfect size scrap of Hobbs Heirloom Natural Cotton Batting for this one. I am telling you the stars aligned perfect for me to finish this one up so quick.





And as always, I used a Schmetz Needle. The Microtex needles that came in my latest Ambassador box have been wonderful with the Island Batik fabric.













=^..^=




3 comments:

  1. Very pretty bonus project. It really shows off the fabrics well, and the piecing looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty quilt! And I think it's very ingenious, and skillful, to piece those pieces together. It made it work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I'm impressed that you got it quilted in less time than a load of laundry!!

    ReplyDelete