Friday, January 31, 2020

Let's Get Scrappy - January Island Batik Challenge

I am super excited to be an ambassador for Island Batik again in 2020!
On Monday I showed off all the goodies Island Batik and their partners sent me to work with and today I want to show you my first finished Island Batik Quilt of 2020.


The January challenge of 2020 is "Let's Get Scrappy".
Good thing there is 31 days this month.
I worked on this a little bit at a time all month and put the last stitch in the binding last night.


I love scrappy quilts and definitely have lots of Island Batik scraps to play with.  When I first saw the theme, I was envisioning a rainbow of scrappiness for this project with some possible stars or paper pieced diamonds and then....



I came across these cute little turtles Turtle Tots by Southwind Designs at the Loving Stitches quilt shop in Fayetteville, NC! The shop had the table runner version hanging on their wall and I immediately wanted to have the pattern.  I asked one of the ladies who worked there and she showed me a whole display of  Southwind Design patterns, but they didn't have the Turtle Tots in stock.  Ack!  I did end buying two others though.



When I got home I went to the SouthWind Design website and luckily they had the Turtle Tots pattern in stock, so I got the pattern!



These little guys are perfect for small scraps.



I cut the shell pieces from a left over 2.5 strip but you can also cut them from charm square scraps.




The head and legs also came from a left over 2.5 inch strip.

 

The pattern calls for 5 Turtle Tots, but I made six and altered the layout a bit to get the 6th one to fit.


What I really like about this pattern is that it has curves without having to sew curves. The process is similar to making a Cathedral Windows quilt by folding the fabric back on the bias to create the curve and stitching that down.


I used left over scraps form some Island Batik strip sets to make the water sections as well and I quilted it using White and Teal 50wt Aurifil Thread from their color builder collections.



The quilt measures approximately 50 x 40.



The only thing that wasn't scrappy was the white background.  For that I used Island Batik Neutral called Sprinkles.  It looks white far a way, but when you get a little closer you can see light gray dotted swirls.  It is one of my favorite neutrals!


I hope you enjoyed seeing my scrappy Turtle Tots and if you want to make some for your own or just want to see what other curvy patterns they have check out Southwind Designs they has some cute curved patterns.

And check out Island Batik and Aurfil websites. They are so colorful and full of inspiration.



=^..^=






6 comments:

  1. This quilt is really adorable!! I love those little turtle tots! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much! And I wondered if it was a Southwinds Designs pattern--I also discovered them at Loving Stitches! I bought the dogwood pattern because it was in the bathroom and I loved it!! These turtles are lovely and what a great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being an Island Batik Ambassador one again. I love your scrappy Turtle Quilt. These are my forever favorite colors! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little turtles are so cute! I haven't been to Loving Stitches in ages. It's such a great shop. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent quilt - loving it! I really want to make one similar, but I have so many in line ahead of it. I will just love yours! Enjoy the year as an ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your turtles are lovely,such a great job

    ReplyDelete