Sunday, February 10, 2019

Island Batik Magnificent Mini and Project Quilting 10.3

Week three of Project Quilting lined up perfectly with the timing of my Magnificent Mini project for Island Batik Ambassadors.  


The theme for week three of Project Quilting was "Bigger than a bread box".  We could create anything quilt related as long as it was bigger than a bread box.  

The February Island Batik Ambassador challenge this month is "Magnificent Minis". 
Ambassadors were asked to make a quilt smaller than 24 x 24 inches.



I had several ideas to choose from and even printed and cut out two different paper piecing patterns, but my heart kept thinking of Valentines day coming up and the fact that I don't have any valentine themed quilts at all.  Can you imagine that?  I didn't believe it at first, but after rooting through the quilt cabinet, there were no hearts to be found, so I put away the paper piecing and decided to get festive.  



I drew up a quick heart block that measured 3.5 inches and started pulling pink batiks.I grabbed two of the pinks from the stash builders that were sent to me from Island Batik, and grabbed the rest from my own Island Batik Stash.

- FYI -
From one 5 inch square you can get two 3.5 inch hearts and
from one 2.5 inch strip WOF you can get eight 3.5 inch hearts

    I still didn't have enough pink, so I added some purples and reds, all from older Island Batik fabric lines I already had. Isn't it wonderful how all the fabric lines play so well together, even the older lines. Island Batik fabrics never go out of style.  

Check out that half inch sashing and cornerstones.  I love tiny quilt pieces!

For the background I used the white batik fabric that was supplied to me as an Ambassador.  


I had never sewn with solid batik fabric before.  I love sewing with white backgrounds in my quilts so this was super nice to have that batik feel throughout.

And we can't leave out Hobbs Batting.
  I had two smaller pieces of 80/20 left over from a previous project and sewed them together to create the perfect size batting, once it was quilted you couldn't even tell the batting was pieced.



I am calling this one Candied Hearts.

As far as the actual size... well I got the "Bigger Than a Bread Box" part right for project quilting, but I'm actually 2 inches longer one side for the Island Batik February project.

It measures 26 x 21. In my defense, it did start out as less than 24 inches tall, but I had to add another row of hearts.  I couldn't have four on the top and three on the bottom. My brain needs symmetry and technically since the width is 3 inches shorter than 24 inches I do have the correct square footage...or inchage... is that a word?   



Thanks for stopping by.  Check out all the other Island Batik Ambassadors this month to see what minis and fabrics they are playing with.



And around 12pm Central time you can start voting HERE for your favorite Project for week three of Project Quilting.


=^..^=

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'd go for symmetry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Those coloured squares in the sashing are perfect. Smiled at "square inchage"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet quilt for both challenges. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the phrase square inchage! This is beautiful. A truly beautiful color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet wall hanging! Who said that hearts can't be blue and purple?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful finish! ANd way to make it a "two-fer" project--by merging it with Island Batik monthly challenge and PQ 1 week challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an adorable finish just in time for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its absolutely adorable! Note to self: It would be fun to make it with larger heart blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will you be sharing or selling the pattern to this?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fantastic job you have done here. And Thank you for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete