Friday, August 10, 2012

Guild Block of the Month - August


This is the block I turned in for my Guild's August block of the month.
To my surprise my name was drawn and I got to take home all the blocks!!

I started sewing them together like a regular string quilt, but then I thought some black sashing would bring out the black novelty fabrics in the center of each one. So I got my stitch ripper out, took apart the six I had sewn together, and came up with this.

I made an extra wide border with the intention of doing something spiffy in there, either with quilting or applique.  After staring at it a bit an idea hit me, so I cut up some green fabric strips and proceeded to make some vines.

I ended up making a lot of vine, way more than I think I will need, but I was having a good time with my new bias tape maker.


I glue basted the center vine on last night and laid out a few scrap triangles to get a feel for what it will look like. I think triangle flower petals will match perfect with the triangle sting blocks.

I have six mini triangles ready for hand applique, only 138 to go.  


=^..^=

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh I love the quilt. The border is going to be stunning! What a great idea to use the triangle shaped flowers. Can't wait to see it finished! K-

Dianne Mitzel said...

I love your quilt, and agree, the triangle flowers are darling..glad you put the black to make it pop, it almost looks 3 dimensional.great job.

Anonymous said...

I really like this. Nice use of color and triangle strips! Cool.

Maddy said...

Adding the black sashing and the green onto the boarder has added life to the quilt.
Will return to see the quilt finished.