Saturday, October 16, 2010

Halloween Postcard Holder

I got tired of my postcards falling off the fireplace mantle from only a little breeze of someone walking by, so I came up with a festive postcard holder to hold them.  It is similar to the other one I made, but this time I used plastic for the corners instead of fabric.  I was going to try another method I have seen on other blogs and use a whole 4 x 6 piece of plastic instead of corners and slide the whole card in and out, but the glare on the plastic was too much, so I just used the corners.



When I was done making the wall hanging, I had some interesting scraps left over, particularly the orange I used to punch out the "Happy Halloween".  It had fast 2 fuse on it and I hate to throw that away when I can fuse it to something else, so I did just that.  I cut it up into very small pieces, mixed it with the striped binding fabric and the black background fabric of the wall hanging and fused it all on the base of a fabric postcard.   I also took the small triangles eyes, nose, and mouth that came out of the punched out pumpkins and ironed them on as well. Then  I covered it all in black tulle, added some meandering stitching to hold it all down, and for the final touch, I placed the white ghosties on the top. 
I love it when I can use my littlest scraps and turn them into something cool.
I even have enough fused orange fabric to make another one.  
:)



7 comments:

  1. Both of those projects hit my heart. I have been looking a long time for something to dress up the fireplace mantel. The little wall hanging are just so sweet. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project! I've been wanting to get into making postcards but didn't know what to do with them once made. I adore your holder. What possibilities!! Your quilting and use of scraps is terrific :) Thanks for sharing Leah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love LOVE this! Your postcard holder is terrific and that postcard? well it is fabulous......you turned a few scraps into something quite wonderful. The layering gives it great depth. Applause, applause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen anything like that -- what a great way to display them all. It looks great on your mantle. Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of the things you made you creative saver girl :)

    I've got to get back to making postcards and find out from you who to send them to so I will get some back.

    I do have some great home made greeting cards a friend sends me each year and I've collected quite a few of her Halloween ones to display.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your postcards are very pretty and the holder is great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cute I ;love it and I will have to try that. Any tricks to making the display.... the atc is cute too leah!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete