Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Months of the Year RedWork

I found these machine embroidery designs years ago on the internet when I was searching for "free machine embroidery designs". Each one symbolizes a month of the year. The set I have stitched out is the little girls, but there is also a little boys set.

In the past I have stitched out the January and February designs and used them for postcards. (Here and Here). But for the ones I have pictured here, I plan on using them as the centers of a double Irish Chain. I already have them set in the center blocks. I just need to make the 5 patch blocks to go with them. I totally forgot about this UFO so I better add it to my list, which brings the total to 11 unfinished quilt projects. I better get crackin'.

Unfortunately I can't remember the site where I downloaded the designs from, but I do remember they are no longer free to download. A couple months after I initially downloaded them, I went back to the same site and they were then listed as "for sale". I figure I got lucky on these. Unfortunately today, I can't find the web site again where these came from. :( Hopefully they are still out there and I am just not typing the right words in the search engines. So, if anyone knows who the designer of these are please let me know. I would love to be able to link to his/her site.

*UPDATE* - Vicky has found the designer, YAY! Heather's Home Designs. And she sells her designs here: OregonPatchWorks. Thanks Vicky!!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pinwheels

Today I finally worked on one of my UFOs. I pulled this quilt top out a couple months ago, but that was about all I did with it. Today I started laying the blocks out on the floor to get a view of what order I wanted them, but my puppy decided that he wanted to play with my blocks and just wouldn't let me lay the blocks out at all. So I had to come up with a new way to display them. I remembered reading online about design walls being made out of tablecloths with flannel backs, so I grabbed the only table cloth I owned that had a flannel back and draped it in front of my fireplace. It wasn't quite big enough to fit the whole quilt (the top row didn't fit) but it still was very helpful in getting this top laid out and ready to sew together. It also made me realize that I was 6 blocks short for the outer border, so I worked on those today and added the yellow inner border. Hopefully tomorrow there will be time to finish sewing the rest of the outer border blocks together and complete the top.